"eating" revisited

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is my re-worked image from the previous post. I received several useful commits. I appreciate and thank you for taking the time to make suggestion on to improve this image.

Specific Feedback

Does this re-worked image address some of the concerns voiced?

Technical Details

Canon RF5, Canon RF 100-500mm

processed with Topaz noise reduction and sharpening. I did not use Topaz A1.

Much better processing in this one, John. I’m seeing a ton of detail in the adults heads that wasn’t in the original and the chicks plumage looks real in this one. Too bad about the nictitating membrane in the chick’s eye, but that can’t be helped unless you have another frame you can steal the eye from.

So much better!! Forget about this Topaz “Photo AI” thing. The separate DeNoise and Sharpen are so much better. And Sharpen is not a miracle.

Great job on the re-processing. You’ve made an engaging image even better.

Hi John
This looks much better. I was never happy with Topaz AI, (overly aggressive & to meany artifacts).
This a very good photograph in low lighting.
Peter

Hi John, yes this looks much better. Seems like avoiding Topaz AI helped in this instance. Love the interaction with the chick with the onlooking parent as well.
Just FYI, my preferred workflow for high ISO images is DXO Pure Raw 3 then Photoshop with all sharpening done with Smart Sharpen in Photoshop. Even though ISO 800 is really not high ISO.
Nice frame - congrats!

Hello, I cannot help you with the technical details but just want to say congratulations on this lovely capture. It is the stories of wildlife that grab me the most.

Definitely worth the time and effort in re-processing this image ! Grtz, hans

Thank you all for your comments. Helped me to learn a bit more about post processing.