Echidna

Description: One of Australia’s more unusual wildlife is the Echidna; an egg-laying mammal. This one eventually came so close that I was unable to photograph any longer. Photographed in the beautiful Bundjalong National Park.

Specific Feedback Requested: Any comments and criticisms are most welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: 1/250 f4 ISO6400 70-200@113mm

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)no

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

1 Like

Hi Glenys! What a cute and beautiful little animal! I’ve never seen one before! I love the colors in the fur. He/she definitely looks curious about you! Welcome to NPN and I hope to see more photos of Australian wildlife! You captured him well and I like how you have a little bit of the environment included as well.

Hi Glennie,

What a neat little animal and I like how you positioned yourself down low to get this shot. Composition is fine and I like the image as presented. Welcome to NPN …Jim

Welcome to the NPN community, Glennie. What an interesting creature you’ve captured here. It kind of reminds me of porcupines we have here in the US. Love your point of view and also the lines created by the tree and background which seem to reflect the same diagonal shapes in the Echidna. Looking forward to more of your photos from Australia.

Hi Glennie, welcome to NPN!

This is a great shot of an animal I’ve never seen. I like your composition and the wide open aperture to make the background fade away. Well done. Looking forward to more of your images.

Hello & welcome to NPN, Glennie - a wonderful shot to open with. Although I’ve never seen one, IRL, echidnas are fascinating animals and remind me more of hedgehogs than porkies and I imagine they evolved to take up similar niches in the environment. Your low angle is perfect and I love the colors in the spines.

Thank you for your kind words and warm welcome.

Glennie, I missed this one! This little guy is SOOO cute, and the camera angle provides a more-than-just-a-picture look. The subdued palette of colors is wonderful and blends with the little creature so well, and the framing adds a special touch.

I’ll certainly add my hearty welcome to the others! I hope we get to see many of your images!! I can attest to how good they are!

Thanks Diane! I think you are wrapping me up a bit too much!

I’m very late in welcoming you to NPN, but you made a great entry with this elusive creature, I’m seeing for the first time. It reminds me of Hedgehog.
The image is technically solid and very well framed!
Looking forward to more images from your portfolio!

Glennie, huge congratulations on your first EP – and it was on your first image posted!! Hoping to see LOTS more of your work!!!

Hi @glennie , it appears your image was one of the few lost during our transition to a new server. Could you either email me (editor@naturephotographers.network) a copy of the photo and I can fix this, or you can edit the post yourself by clicking the pencil icon and re-upload the photo. Thank you and sorry for the trouble!

Thank you! I’ve uploaded it again. No trouble.

1 Like

One of my favorite Australian animals. This is a wonderful portrait. The tilted composition works well and I really like how the darker fur and quills are echoed by the dark tones of the surrounding forest. Congrats on the EP. It’s well-deserved.

Yes, huge congratulations, Glennie!! So well deserved for this wonderful image!