Emergence

Autumn 2020 photo project - taken 10/18/20 , in Lincoln, Massachusetts

This was a morning with very heavy fog. I was shooting foggy trees for a while since everything was socked in with no light . Then about an hour after sunrise, the sun finally started to emerge through the thick fog. At the point this happened, I was in a meadow where my only foreground was these grasses, so I just went with it. I have never seen such an intense glow of light through a fog before. The ring or halo around the sun was caused by the fog, it is much more pronounced in the raw files, I tried to minimize it’s appearance as best I could here.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any critique or comments are welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
This image is a blend of 3 exposures for dynamic range, one for the sun, another for the sky, and a third for the grasses. Blended using TK Luminosity Masks.

Canon 5D MKIV, Canon 70-200mm f4 lens, at 135 mm, ISO 100, 1/25 sec at f16.

4 Likes

Ed, again a stunning image. I cannot think of any comment other than, I find it a good blend, The image gives that early morning feeling that I often miss , because in my surroundings are to much buildings.

You are nailing these one after another, Ed! First off, great job on the exposure blend as it appears just right to my eye. I actually think the FG grasses work beautifully here and add an additional layer to this wonderful scene. I particularly like that warm glow just behind the grasses; I find it very inviting. I am looking forward to seeing what else you captured during your Autumn 2020 Project.

Love it Ed. Those foreground grasses add oh so much! Nice job on the blend; it is always a challenge to shoot straight into the sun.

@Ben_van_der_Sande @Ed_Lowe @John_Williams
thank you all for your comments, I appreciate you taking the time to give me your thoughts

Ben, if it makes you feel any better, to the immediate left of this meadow is a gasoline station, and to the immediate right is a golf course. The use of a telephoto lens helped create the illusion of a wilderness setting. Landscape photography in the suburbs…

1 Like

Love it, Ed! Beautiful colour, wonderful mood and great point of view. My God, there is nothing like the sun breaking through the fog in the early morning. Emergence indeed!

Thanks Kerry. It is a bit cliche, but I agree there is nothing like the sun breaking through the fog in the early morning.