End of an Era

This cowboy’s cabin has fallen into disrepair following the last cattle drive. One can only speculate what life as a cowboy was like—alone in the high desert of Escalante-Grand Staircase with the nearest town, Cannonville, Utah, miles of desolation away.

Technical Details

Composite: No
EF 28-70mm @ 43mm; f/16 @ 1/40 sec, ISO 100

Very cool. I LOVE rural abandonment and decay. Little cabins like this are like catnip to me. Nice find.

Thank you Ms. Smith. I find them irresistible. I have a collection of images of derelict buildings. It is a personal project I indulge myself in as I am on the road. Since I am not working to satisfy an audience or client in these situations my intent is always to find the most compelling composition of each subject and process them as B&W. It is, for me, a challenging personal journey.

Oh I do too. Living in northern Wisconsin gives me a lot of opportunity for this kind of thing. Some days I just get in the car and drive to see what I can find. There’s always something. I’m looking forward to see what else you find and will dig through the archives for what you’ve already shared.