English Ridge

I have been working on a project for Richland County WI. Tourism Development which will be going full swing in 2020. Richland County is the county I grew up in here in southwest WI. and except for a couple of years have lived here most of my life.
I’m having a good time photographing all the beautiful and interesting places throughout the county. This picture was shot on an amazing afternoon with lots of rain showers coming and going with wonderful light in between them. This ridgeline is known as English Ridge and I really enjoy driving across it with all the beautiful farms and farmland. I like the picture as it is but any thoughts you have for improvement are welcome.
Canon 5DMK4, 24-105L @ 24, ISO 400, F/14, 1/160 with cpl.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This is gorgeous, Nick. I want to be there. I love the greens and blues, the unsettled sky giving mixed messages, and the details in the corn rows. If I have one suggestion (and it’s of course totally subjective) it would be to crop a bit off the bottom to remove the less interesting grass. The blue could perhaps be adjusted a tish (I think the polarizer–maybe–gave it a steel gray hue), but I actually like that kind of blue.

I provided and quick and dirty Windows Photos edit (might clone out the tiny edge clinging cloud top left).

ML

Hi Marylynne, Thank You! I think what you did with the crop looks really nice! Like you I enjoy that steel blue color in the sky a lot too. Cloning that little cloud edge top L will work as well. Thanks for the help Marylynne. Nick

This is really nice, Nick. Funny, my first thought before reading comments was a bottom crop and I played with a scroll crop. I ended up liking the original the best, as the grasses add a nice additional layer to the whole image. This is a fine one for your project.

Nick,
This just has a nice feel to it with the sweeping rows of corn as they head back toward the barn and silos. The colors look perfect and I love that cloud laden sky. I like Marylynne’s crop as I think that tightens up the scene beautifully. Really gorgeous work here. Good luck with your project.

This is a very pleasing image Nick, and quite a change of pace from the type of subjects we normally see in your posts. I love the way the corn rows have empty areas between them. The processing looks great to me, the green sand yellows in the landscape are handled perfectly IMO. I do think the crop by @Marylynne_Diggs helps a lot with the composition, placing more emphasis on that first row of corn. The tourism board should be very happy to see this image.

Harley, Ed L & Ed M, Really appreciate getting your thoughts guys and so glad you like it! Thank you, Nick

Nick,

A little late here, but wanted to comment. A wonderful landscape and no doubt will be a contributor to your ongoing project.

Interesting it’s called English Ridge - My comment is that this looks like a combination of an English/Wales countryside AND the Palouse…

I think the presentation and crop as is works beautifully. The only comment/suggestion I have would be to return some of that cpl blue to a lighter more sky blue. I get the cpl contributed here and no doubt worked on the landscape. Still, hard to be critical on this beautiful rural landscape.

Lon