Engulfing

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I watched this cloud bank rise from. the valley below and then realized my wife had vanished. A quick scan of view and I spotted the green rain jacket -she likes to explore as I photograph. This was taken along the Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah Valley.

Specific Feedback

Any and all are appreciated

Technical Details

Sony a7RIII 100-400 lens f8 @1/30 sec

Hi, James. This must have been a great scene in which to be immersed. Your photo gives me the feeling of truly being engulfed in the landscape. I also like the fact that the human element is barely noticeable at first. Those clouds dominate the scene. Having said that, I wonder if there were more clouds on the right side of the frame and above the mountain in the BG. I feel like the magic of the image you captured is there, but I am left wanting more of those clouds present in the photo. If at all possible, I would have tried to capture or include a bit more of the sky in the frame, but not too much. I feel a bit constrained by the way the image is cropped. What I am trying to say is that I believe your image would have been much stronger with the human element in the lower third of the crop instead of the top third. One strong element of this image is how lush nature is presented. The various hues of green are beautiful, especially as they contrast with the grey skies.

Not so much related to the photo, but I am curious as to the presence of the grey surrounding the image. Even when I look at the image outside of NPN, the grey bars on top and right are present. Also, did you purposefully remove the EXIF data from the image?

Thanks for sharing this beautiful photo of the Shenandoah Valley. The photo truly makes me want to visit it.

I agree with @Egídio_Leitão about wanting more of the fog and clouds. And I second his wanting to see all the gray areas dealt with – obviously something went wrong somewhere.

There are some dust spots on your sensor, mostly seen near the top edges. Shoot a clear sky at ISO 100 and f/22 and crank the contrast way up to see what is on the sensor.

1 Like