Epiphany

This is from a beautiful sunset as the monsoon season begun to move inland. High cloud helped with the colors as well. I wanted to showcase this beautiful solo rock with some subtle reflections in the sand, as the tide was moving out. I would like to know if the image works wrt to the composition and post-processing. I would like some idea if the perspective of the rock works too. Maybe some perspective correction could be better.

A 2 shot bracketed vertical panorama

2 Likes

Another outstanding image Simeon, I’m enjoying this one very much. With the combination of these conditions and your processing, this image has a very luminous quality to it and works very well. I like the nice soft look of the clouds too. In general, the processing looks great. I think having the rock tilted to about a 45 degree angle works well, if that is what you mean by perspective. I also like including the ball of the sun in the image, I think it creates a stronger connection between the rock and the horizon.

Since this is the critique forum, I’ll offer a couple suggestions, but I admit they are very subjective, and may or may not improve what is already a great image. I wish there was a little more breathing room to the left of the rock. If you don’t have that in a raw file, I would go to Photoshop and add canvas and content aware fill, it works great with this image. I also think the green moss is very interesting, i might consider darkening the top half of the rock to accentuate the moss even further. Here is a rework reflecting my comments.

1 Like

Very nice, @simeon! I really enjoy your composition and color palette here. You’ve got some nice reflections going on there, too. I will agree with everything @Ed_McGuirk has mentioned and also add that if anything I would maybe tone down the foreground just a tad. It seems like it might be just a touch too bright in the bottom-most part of the image on the sand and backside of the rock. Maybe just deepening the shadows just a hair would be enough. At this point though, I’m just nitpicking. This is a great image, as is!

1 Like

Gorgeous simplicity with luminous light! And a great subject to allow the panorama. I don’t think I could imagine a better perspective.

1 Like

You’ve achieved your goals nicely Simeon; this is beautiful. I’m not sure what direction you would go with perspective correction, but I don’t think it is necessary; this is nice as is. Ed’s changes are subtle, but nice.

1 Like

Thanks @Ed_McGuirk for the detailed review. I agree with all of you points for improvements. It definitely enhances the image better.

Thank you @Dustin_Waits I actually agree with that. It will definitely give the dynamic range a more natural transition.