Ethereal

I’ve been working on a series of images from a recent trip including this.

The idea for the composition was the lead the eye through space between the mossy tree trunks in the foreground, up though the two ferns & into the top of the frame which has some really nice light

Specific Feedback Requested

How does the composition look, is there anything that I could change that would add to it?

How does the colour composition look?

Does the image have ‘depth’

Any other feedback I’d appreciate it

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

dalegphoto
1 Like

This is, to my eye, a very nicely composed scene. I enjoy the trail leading me through the image. I really enjoy the forest detail in the lower part of the image, and would suggest bringing more of that to the fore by dodging. For me, the very white sky overpowers the image. One might find other ways to deal with it in raw, such as hdr but since the lower part is my eye candy, I cropped the top a bunch.

3 Likes

The image has a very mysterious mood. I especially like the flow from the lower part where the darks just contain some detail to the light part at the top. A view between the rock and the trunk with the two ferns in the middle. The blueish-greenish haze together with the bunch of distant trees certainly creates depth. I agree with the crop of Dick Knudson, although I would even crop between the two branches of the tree middle right.

2 Likes

Hi @dalegphoto

Your picture spoke to me directly and I saw so many possibilities. I like the composition very much and I thought that more of these great details could be emphasized.
I hope my interpretation speaks to you and maintains the emotional bond you have to this enchanting place.
Best regards.

1 Like

Both reworks look good to me. I would burn in the red top part of the log on the right that’s leaning against the tree. I think I actually prefer the darker rework and the log is less of an issue there.

This would suggest to me doing some dodging of the path to further help direct the eye through the scene. I think this would enhance the feeling of depth that you already have. Otherwise I think the foreground and mid-ground of this image are very strong. Forgive me, since this is not your vision for this image, but I think the light at the top diminishes what would otherwise be a tremendous sense of gloomy mystery in this forest. Here is my suggestion on processing and composition, that emphasizes the path and the foreground.

1 Like

I think the image also has a lot of mystery and atmosphere. I am wondering like others above of cropping the top, but I would maybe not crop as much as Ed above, but leave a little more light coming in, but maybe change the temperature of the highlights in this top half and bring down the highlights a bit. But I think I might crop the very bottom of the image, as I find my eyes looking at two distinct places and jumping over the narrow gap. I might try cropping from the bottom of the lighter lichen patch on the tree. I might also slightly dodge the two ferns in the mid-ground, and the odd bit of dodging and burning elsewhere (with the emphasis on the word small!). To me this might help the eye to move “through” the pictureThanks for a great image.

. I don’t think this is any better, but I had a fiddle around (grateful for the time with your image!) so thought I would upload anyway! Thanks, Dale…

1 Like