Eurasian Otter

This otter is one of a pair on a lake at the edge of a small town. They are catching a lot of fish, and they usually bring these to a large square metal structure in the middle of the lake which they are using as a temporary home. I’ve never seen such tame otters before. Today they seemed to be posing for a photo, and even showing off their catch.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’m trying to find a happy medium between noise reduction and sharpening. Please comment on the extent to which I’ve achieved this here . Any other comments welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D500 + Tamron 150-600mm at 320mm, 1/800, f10, ISO 800, hand-held, cropped to 60% of original

3 Likes

Mike, it’s cool to see an “uncommon” (for many of us) species. I like the pose you captured, and it’s the tail that really makes the frame (IMO), completing the curved line of otterness through the frame.

Max

Hi Mike! I can’t comment on the technical side of things. But I absolutely love this photo! Not only is it such a cute otter. But the pose, how the otter is looking at you and the overall composition is just so perfect and has a beautiful flow to it! Awesome catch!

Thank you, Max. It was slowly rolling over, and this one showed the tail to best effect. Am hoping to get a shot of otter plus fish.

Thanks, Vanessa. It is cute, rather than cutesy, in this shot, I think. I prefer that to the several shots I got where it looks downright mean, which of course it is to all those fish!

Hi Mike !
I really liked your choice of framing here, very nicely composed !
As for your question, I find noise to be very much under control and no problems with sharpness too! You are already at a sweet spot. :grinning:

I agree with Jagdeep. The noise is not apparent at normal size. I love the eye contact and composition on this. Actually, I just really love otters. :slight_smile: I am curious, though, why there is noise which you can see when zoomed in, with an ISO of only 800. Was the original underexposed?