Fading into Oblivion

Reine, Lofoten, Norway.

One of my biggest regrets this year, thus far anyway is missing out on my annual trip to Norway in search of inspirational snowy images. Unfortunately global warming means that snow and even cold weather is in decline in Scotland and last year we had virtually no snow at ground level at all. I suspect this shot will polarise opinion. I love it mainly because it transports me straight back there and I recall the near white out blizzard conditions and I remember deliberately searching for a shot with virtually no dark tones that I hoped would complement the conditions yet still provide a pastel palette of satisfying hues from cool to warm. I hope you like it.

Fuji XT-1, 55-200 zoom for a compressed perspective and also to allow me to stay far enough away to keep the verticals reasonably straight.

5 Likes

Hi Ian,

With a low of 26 last night in SE Michigan, our Spring has been abnormal with extremes in temperature. So much for Spring wildflowers. What I really like about this landscape is the window in the lower RH corner. It suggests some form of escape from the cold. The high key elements of the scene adds to the cold features of the outside world. I also like how the BG fades out near the top of the frame. To me this image would not benefit from a bump up in contrast and like it as presented…Jim

I am quite liking this. The kind of high key look works really well for me and it is a nice cold and dreamy feel. No suggestions here.

This is lovely, Ian! The high key effect works beautifully for this scene and I am enjoying the way the mountain in the BG fades away in the fog. What really makes the image for me is that window as I could just picture someone peering out looking at the winter wonderland.

Oh, this is stunning. The window and dark bits anchor it to earth, and the mountain sends it to the heavens. Just beautiful!

This is wonderful Ian. The high key effect from the blizzard is very ethereal.

The Lofoten islands are spectacular and offer endless possibilities and I always enjoy something original from there, like this one. The high key look is really nice, the inclusion of the white cabin fits perfectly!

I really like this. I also look for all-white subject matter, with just enough detail in there to show up. I think you did an excellent job with this. Every line in this tells the story. Well done!!!
Regarding snow and cold weather: here in Alaska, we had a winter just like the old days!!! We had a lot of temperatures down in the -20s Fahrenheit. Weeks and weeks of it. We also had a fair amount of snow. I believe Anchorage got around 75 inches of snow, and we got more than that where I am. That is in contrast to several previous years when we got very little snow, and had relatively warm temperatures.