Fall Delicacy

Description:

We were back in Trinity County this weekend, just poking around various locales. This was a scene looking across the Trinity River. I am always taken by the delicate appearance of the leaves and catkins(?) left on the alders at this time of year.

Specific Feedback Requested:

What about the blue/cyan tint on the trees - too much? They naturally were slightly blue, and I enhanced it just a bit.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? No
a73r, 24-105@105mm, f/5.6, ISO 800, hand held

2 Likes

Nice eye to grab those trees; they make a lovely subject. They are a mix of symmetry and yet unsymmetrical; very enjoyable to view. Interesting how you kept it so high key; I think it works.

The blue/cyan looks fine to me.

Oh my. This is absolutely… well, what goes with absolutely? It’s gorgeous. How you saw this particularl vision is really something. I’ve been around Redding (to get away from the cold) and I know these look quite different in reality. To see this when faced with what’s out there is really great. It’s an artistic image, which is a bit of a different direction from your recent work. The composition reminds me of some of @Lon_Overacker’s earlier work but the vision is quite different.

I don’t see any blue in the image. This probably looks particularly good large, where all those small branches come out.

This is a beautiful image Bonnie. I am especially impressed by the composition because I know how difficult it is to get good compositions out of the chaos in heavily wooded areas.

Bonnie, it is very hard to find and extract these woodland scenes in an artistic way, but you have succeeded admirably here. The way the trees are leaning adds a lot of life to this image. The subtle blue color in the trunks works for me as presented. This image reminds of some of the work by @Igor_Doncov, it looks like the type of intimate scene he enjoys photographing. It has complexity, and lots of subtle details, but it also has a very well structured composition.

@Igor_Doncov, @Tony_Siciliano, @Ed_McGuirk, and @John_Williams, thank you for your appreciation and comments. There was definitely busy-ness and distractions around the edges of the original framing, hence the 1:1 crop. Igor, I don’t know Lon’s early work, but I was thinking of you and your recent photos of grasses and plants.

Perhaps. I like these types of compositions but I don’t interpret images as much as this. This has your unique style. Lon’s images are also more literal than this. Each person brings something different.

Beautiful, Bonnie. I like the high key, dreamy presentation and mood. Looks great.

@Harley_Goldman, thanks!

I tend to think that I don’t really do that much interpretation/adjustment, but I just made a jpg of the raw file for this one for comparison, and it does look and feel different than the final version.

Lovely, my sort of shot, low contrast, pastels and delicate hues. I like organised chaos.

2 Likes

Bonnie,

Echo the others and add this reminds me of Charlotte Gibb’s work. Beautifully conceived and executed!

1 Like

Very well composed! I’m not seeing any distracting blue/cyan, and I like the high key look too.

1 Like

It does indeed, doesn’t it? I think Gibbs portrays a more romantic view of nature. There’s a sweetness about it. Bonnie’s work is more psychological. Just my opinion.

1 Like

Igor,
I do agree with your very insightful comparison.

1 Like

Thank you for the comparison @Alan_Kreyger - I’m flattered. CG’s photos are beautiful and romantic, for sure. I consciously try to avoid romanticizing nature - the romantic outlook is just not in my nature.

1 Like

I especially like the low key look to this superb intimate landscape. The texture and orange, pink, and light green colors work perfectly. Yes, I can relate this to Charlotte Gibb, but also to Eliot Porter.
Gorgeous image!

2 Likes