Fall Immersion

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The fusion of fall color amid its structure attracted me to this composition. I choose to accentuate the fusion with ICM as my interpretation.

Specific Feedback

Does the branch structure work with the fused leaves? Is it balanced?

Technical Details

115mm f/25 0.5 sec iso 50 , vertical and diagonal sweep

1 Like

This is a wonderful ICM image. I don’t take ICMs, but I like how the trunks of the trees fold into the leaves. This is a very colorful image and I feel happy when I look at it. I have one small suggestion that you didn’t ask for, but there are two turquoise spots in the LRC that stand out. Maybe clone them out. Very nice.

Hi Mario, this is a wonderful and colorful ICM image! I think you described it well with fusion of color amid the structure of the trees. I’d like to suggest a square crop as I’ve shown in the edited version below to help with the focus and balance of the image. It helps to exclude that bare patch up top just right of center and focuses more on the colorful foliage and lines of the trunks. I also included the Lightroom edits I made which include cropping, shifting the yellow/green colors slightly, cloning out some of the turquoise spots, and some negative clarity and dehaze for a softer look. I think you did an awesome job overall.

Thank you @Donna_Callais @Alfredo_Mora for your review and comments. I like your rework Alfredo. One of my struggles many times is isolating the essential elements of an image.

Love this Mario! I think you summed it up well with the above statement - I like that - a “fusuion of color and structure.” Well done.

Here, the colors are outstanding and work beaufitully given the subject matter. “Fall”.

Only suggestions are minor tweaks that the others have touched on; primarily toning down, cloning or otherwise mitigating the strong turquoise colors. They’re small-ish, but the color/sat is not consistent really with the rest of the image. The other minor suggestion, burn down the whitish trunk near the top edge. Not a huge deal, but pulls the eye. The same with the dark, black line/strip near the center. Even less of a big deal, and would require a little more precise dodging or some other technique.

The overall result is very cool and somewhat Impressionistict. Well done!

Lon

Thanks @Lon_Overacker , Ill try the burn & dodge.

Hello Mario, nice job! There are always adjustments to be made after our images are created, and others have given you some very helpful feedback on that - especially the square crop idea by Alfredo - I like that version. And Lon’s suggestions are ones I would make too. Yet the main thing I wanted to say here is that you are doing well with your ‘mind’s eye’ vision. The more you work at these ICM type abstracts, the better you get at knowing what things might distract, and what things need some tonal adjustment later to balance the image. Good work overall!

Thank you for your comments and review Brenda, @brenda_tharp .