Farm land

A field prepared for seed potatoes. Belgium, “Voer” region (Voeren for the dutch speaking, or Fourons for the french speaking part of Belgium. There is always a reason to fight over language, there).

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I’m interested to know if you like the lines/patterns, or that you would have preferred a different frame/point of view/crop.
Any other feedback appreciated as well, of course.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Olympus Stylus 1S, carried during a walk.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Han,

I really like the vision you’ve brought into this image. I can’t help but wondering if you had changed your vantage point over to the left where the horizontal and vertical lines converge and how that line might have run up through the image to the trees - may have simplified the image and in process made it stronger. To my eye, the fence line isn’t additive to the image necessarily. Also just a very minor nit pick - I’d clone out the brush at the base of the trees. Interested to see any edits you make after you get more feedback.

I love the graphic design of this composition with strong parallel lines in several directions. I’m bothered by what appear to be foot prints which break up the flow and texture of the image. Here is a crop of your image which shows it’s strength when the lines remain consistent throughout. I purposely made it long and narrow to emphasize your lines.

This is very nicely done. I like Igor’s take, but prefer the original composition. The sense of openness and fade away on the left works for me. No suggestions here.

@Igor_Doncov: this is interesting. When I made the photograph I didn’t think of a vertical image. And it nicely takes out the footsteps that break up the patterns.
@George_Kalantzes: I agree about the fence. Unfortunately, it is not so easy to remove it in a good way from the image. The brush can easily be cloned out.
I made a new edit, without the brush, and I attempted to remove the worst of the footsteps (a combination of Content Aware F ill and some tedious cloning). It is not perfect, with more investment in time it can probably be improved.

Han, your repost did a nice job with the footsteps, it worked out well. I agree with @George_Kalantzes that I would have preferred to see a composition taken from a vantage further to the left of where you were standing. As George points out, I think the line convergence area is very interesting and could have been emphasized more. And, as presented, I also think the tree is placed a little too off center for my taste, and a viewpoint more to the left would have centered the tree more.

I like what Igor did, the vertical emphasizes the lines, and i like the more centered placement of the tree. I also like how Igor removed the foreground grass, which also places more emphasis on the furrows. While i think this could work either as a vertical or horizontal, I like the simplification that @Igor_Doncov’s rework achieved.

First, thanks to everyone who took time to comment on the image. Much appreciated! And as always, very interesting how different the images can be that are made from the same scene.

The landscape to the right of the fence is, unfortunately, completely uninteresting. I understand the opinion that I should have taken the photo from a vantage point more to the left, but I don’t know if it would have been possible to crop the resulting image in a satisfying way. The trees are too close to the edge of the image now, I played with the idea to crop them away, but decided against it. Whitout the trees (cloned or cropped) I would also leave the fence out . Something like the attached image, but it is too empty for me.
I like the grass in the FG, because of the curve that resembles the curves in the furrows in the left part of the image. But I understand why @Igor_Doncov cropped it away in his vertical image.

I agree with you that the tree was an important element to keep. The fence is not a big issue in my opinion.