Female Black Chinned - Ms. Pollen Beak

Description:

This little lady was cooperative a few days ago coming to the flower repeatedly for her portrait session. Loved the pollen on her back and while this wing position isn’t my favorite, I still liked it.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) No

Olympus EM1-X
40-150 f/2.8 Pro with 2x TC
1/200, f/16, ISO 100
568mm
4 flashes

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

She is wonderful. Very dainty and that pollen smudge is so cute. You even got a catchlight in the eye. Superb handling of the flashes and a background to die for. What, you came here for critique? :laughing:

Hi Keith
It looks like this has become the Hummingbird Nature Photographers Network and this photograph is surely belongs with the best.
Peter

This is a fabulous image, with the flower and the bird both so well lighted and sharply detailed. I love the “food on the face” and the BG. My only suggestion is to lighten or remove the flash shadow on the one bud – it’s so hard to avoid shadows like that and is the only hint I see of the flashes.

Outstanding, Keith, as the others have said. Very nicely seen and captured.

Hi Keith,

The pollen is an excellent addition to the scene. When ruby throated hummingbirds visit trumpet vine, their entire head can be covered with yellow pollen. I like the sharpness of the head. Well done…Jim

Another outstanding multiflash image. I’m impressed that you can do this at ISO 100. It makes such a difference compared to images taken in the shade without flash.

Beautiful work, Keith. I like the composition a lot and the detail is fantastic.