Female Purple Finch

Another image from my blind session yesterday. I liked the action and the perch.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything. There were a fair number of cleanups in the water and elsewhere and some burning to remove or tone down distracting elements.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Sony A6500, Sony FE200-600 @ 415 mm, tripod with ball head and Sidekick, f/8, 1/500, iso 1600, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Neat Image for noise reduction. Considerable, cloning, painting, burning to handle minor bright areas in the background (mostly fir needles and a couple of grass blades). I also dodged the near side of the Finch’s face as it was rather shadowed. Taken on May 24th at 2:33 pm under hazy sun and under trees that produced mottled light and shade. This is the ground pond referred to in my last post.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

I like this shot. A very relaxed bird having a drink in a very compromised position. Habitat looks great and a unique pose. Sharp and well exposed. And bird’s face looks very natural. Good for you.

Great action photo Dennis. I really like the expression on his face, like he’d better get a big drink now while he can. Nicely done.

What is not to like about this shot. I love the perch, the reflection in the pond as he takes a sip, and you sure captured wonderful details in his feathers. It sure looks like a natural setting out in the wild somewhere. Great job.

Excellent detail, color, position of the bird on the rock, and behavior. Looks rather natural in your created setting. I’ve seen to finches other than goldfinches, all spring.

I really like this. The bird is sharp as a tack. The BG fades nicely OOF. The setting is great. I think I’d like a little separation between the bird’s head and the rock, but as-is, this is very nice to view.

Very nice Dennis. I like the green rock and water and the bird’s pose is great. Fine details. I like the slight yellow on the bird’s plumage. Well done.

Ah, I meant to add the first time around that I can see what appear to be some cloning artifacts in the upper right portion of the frame.