Female Violet-Green Swallow

From a morning outing last week. Our Tree and Violet-green Swallows are both back, but no Cliff Swallows or Purple Martins yet. I expect them any day now.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’m not sure about the dark fir background and the way it plays with the similarly toned plumage of the bird. I could have moved over to give it a blue sky background, but preferred this.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 757 mm, Monopod with Wiberley Sidekick mount, f/9, 1/1250, iso 1000, manual exposure, autofocus. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 4272 x 3369. Taken March 27th.

Boy she was far away from those trees. Such a crisp outline. The color works for me because it illustrates why she is that color. This kind of adaptation in female birds selects for her offspring’s genetic information being passed on rather than her own. She needs to blend in and protect them. Sweet shot. I’ve never seen this species before so it’s quite a treat.

Sure nice to get a swallow to perch like this for you. I think the dark background works well to display the swallow and the texture of the perch is nice as well. Nice image/composition.

What a beauty, Dennis. I love everything, the pose, the perch, the BG and the composition. I sure can’t think of anything to improve the shot.

Hi Dennis , you’ve got nice pose and perch from one of the sweetest looking gliders in the swallow Family. Nice to see one up close and get a good chance to see the white through the cheek and above the eye. I like the muted fir green backdrop. In So. Cal we had the Cliffs come in a few weeks back right on time for the San Juan Capistrano Swallow’s Day Parade. Not many nesting at the Mission these days though.

Hello, Dennis, I am convinced about this BG as it matches the colours of the bird very nicely. On my screen the image look quite grainy though, I may consider some NR to see whether this improves the image. That said, I love the overall colours scheme and the pose of the bird a lot ! Cheers, Hans