Finding the route

Toads are not known for their daredevil natures, so I laughed when I found this one on some rather large rocks. It wasn’t distressed or injured, just in a weird place. I love toads and photograph them all the time (usually when I’m herding them out of the way of the lawn mower for my husband), but they’re always around and I think they’re lovely. They come in so many shades of tan, brown, gray and even red. Sometimes the RBF they have is classic grumpy look, but I find them relatively placid. Ah, who doesn’t love a toad?

Specific Feedback Requested

I tried to emphasize the strangeness of the pose and the situation. Anything else that could help with that?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Lumix G9
Leica DG 45mm f2.8 macro
f/8 | 1/6 sec | ISO 400 (-1/3 EV)
Tripod

Lr processed to bring down exposure on the surrounding rocks, add texture and contrast, darkened the bit of leaf near the top and lightened the little ‘cave’ it looks to be heading for. Cropped a bit as well to put the toad more firmly in the top of the frame. Sharpening & nr.

@the.wire.smith
1 Like

A very cool image, Kris. Did you intend this to go in Human and Fauna? I would think either Wildlife or Macro would make more sense. Let me know and I can move it for you.

I like the composition and the way the texture of the toad’s skin works with the lichen patterns on the rocks. For some reason we don’t have garden toads in the Pacific Northwest and I miss them.

Thanks Dennis, yes you can move it. I just didn’t scroll far enough!

Toads are special and specialized…they dig quickly and stay deep underground all winter. I would have thought that the PACNW would be a toad heaven!

This is so cute, Kris! I love the look on the toad’s face! It looks like he’s deep in thought about something! I love the outstretched foot and the curled foot by his face! Really nice capture! It could be a part of a story book!

1 Like