Fireworks

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

One more for this week’s WC. After posting some pussy willows in the earlier texture WC, Kris Smith suggested I shoot some after they “burst open” and I’m glad she did. Reminds me of 4th of July.

Specific Feedback

All comments and suggestions are welcome and thanks for viewing.

Technical Details

Fujifilm X-H2, Fujinon XF 70-300 @ 159mm (239mm), ISO 250, f/11, 1/38s, AWB, tripod.

Jim, these are beautiful flowers. Indeed they bring to mind the idea of something bursting out, such as fireworks. The color balance is very pleasing and enhanced by the soft bokeh in the BG. You nailed the sharpness of the tiny stems in almost all of the flowers. It could be my eyes deceiving me today, but it appears the flower stems to the left of the viewer are just a tad soft. I personally don’t mind that. It serves to show me the DOF in your image. I’m surprised that even at f/11 those showed up a little soft. I love the photo and wish you had the choice to show a bit more on the top and right sides of the frame allowing a little more breathing room in that URC. It is a beautiful capture and very pleasing.

@Egídio_Leitão , thank you for viewing my image and for your helpful critique.

1 Like

I’m so glad you went back for more! Those are like fireworks - a Catherine Wheel on the left maybe? I like the different shapes these are presenting even though they are basically all the same. Full sharpness front to back would be difficult if you didn’t cut and place this in a totally windless environment. As it is, I don’t mind that there are some soft bits, I get enough detail in other parts to satisfy my curiosity. Did you notice pollinators while you were shooting these?

@Kris_Smith , thank you for your nice critique, it was fun doing this shot and I love seeing “common” plants closeup. I was surprised at f/11 I didn’t get more sharpness throughout, so suppose I could have stopped down more or even done a stack. In past years I’ve noticed bees visiting them but not lately as its been too cold to fly.

That could be explained by how close you were to the subject. I have found that to be the case in some macro shots I’ve created.

1 Like

Good point!