First Flight Upcoming

This Barred Owl owlet fledged shortly after this photo. That was a first for me as well as for it. With Red-shouldered Hawks and Red-tailed Hawks all around I’m not sure it has good chances for survival, but I heard it survived the first night, so that’s a good start.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

1 Like

I really like the pose and the eye contact. The framing/composition works for me. Perhaps a tad tight.
I think another stop for depth of field would have put the feathers around the face in tighter focus.

1 Like

A lovely photo of the little owlet Barbara. I really like the setting and dandy pose. Good for you. It looks worried about the hawks as well.

1 Like

What a darling little tyke! And an equally compelling image! My fervent hopes for its survival.

1 Like

HI Barbara, lovely setting for this owlet - love the forest scene with framing leaves and the perch too. For critiquing, it would help if you would include your camera settings (ISO, aperture, shutter speed) as the owl appears soft in the larger view.

1 Like

Hi Barbara:

The cuteness factor here is really great. Such an adorable little owl. Nice pose and perch as well. All of the elements works pretty well here. For me I’m drawn to the bright background to quickly and would want to tone that down. Viewing the larger image, it isn’t quite as sharp as I’d like to see. Here’s a minor rework with the background toned down and desaturated just a bit and some sharpening applied just to the owlet.

1 Like

Barbara, you make me jealous! I have yet to have the opportunity to point my lens towards an owl of any kind in the wild, not to even mention this really cute owlet. I sure hope he survives. I didn’t even realize that he would be in the food chain of the hawks. Hopefully you will get more chances to capture this guy.

1 Like

A really cool image with a nice composition and great pose, Barbara. As others have noted, the owl does appear a bit soft in the larger view, so some technical information would help us make more intelligent comments. To my eye, it has the appearance of a large crop, so that information would also be helpful.

Hi Barbara
Vary cute Barred Owl, with good detail and framing. I agree with Keith on lowering the back-ground. Nice work.
Peter

1 Like