Fishing on the Columbia

Near the mouth of the Columbia on Washington side across from Astoria Oregon. At low tide this heron was catching small flounders off the bottom. It was so intent on fishing that it almost waded right up to me.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
7D mark II; 100/400 at 360; 6.3; 200 ISO; 1/2500th; WB auto. sharpened. Handheld.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Good stalking pose and detail in the heron. Nice lighting on the heron as well. Perhaps clone out the bright circular spots to the right of the heron and perhaps a tad more room on the left. I also like the wave action below the heron.

Jim: I like this very much. The action of the heron in the water is nice, the waves around the heron add a lot to the image for me. I was distracted by a couple of things. The waves at the top of the frame keep grabbing my attention, and I wanted a bit more room on the left. Also I removed the couple of specular highlights just above the herons back. See what you think. I intentionally pushed the content aware crop a bit further to the left just to see what it might look like.

Thanks for the comments. The removal of the bright spots and more room on the left are great suggestions. I am not so sure about changing the top waves. I need to think abut that suggestion.

Excellent, Jim. I like the pose and the way you stopped the waves. You also managed to get the head so it didn’t coincide with a breaking wave, which would have detracted a lot from the image. The heron is a bit centered horizontally and I’d be inclined to crop a bit off the right to minimize that look.