Five and Dime

Sony A77II
Minolta 200mm macro
ISO 400, 1/500 @ f11
Chrissy and I were nosing around the garden this afternoon and while she was watering the wisteria she noticed this little Hairstreak munching away. I quickly popped the camera off the tripod and grabbed a trio of shots, two of which turned out pretty well. These little guys are between a nickel and a dime in size and pretty active so I was really glad that the plane of focus worked out. A couple of more images of this fellow to come. All comments welcome.>=))>

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Neat image! Love the colour combinations, and it’s tack-sharp.
If it were mine, I’d consider a big CW rotation, so the plant’s diagonal is top LEFT to bottom right, and the butterfly is upright. Just seems a little unnatural the way it is.
S

Bill, for composition’s sake, Sandy is probably right, but the b’fly probably cares little whether it is upside down or right side up. Excellent job of keeping your plane of focus perpendicular to the b’fly’s body.

Hi Bill,
I really like the complimentary colors throughout the image and the composition works for me as is. I find these little guys a challenge to capture well - nicely done!

Bill, these Hairstreaks are often hard to spot as they typically walk around the flowers rather than fly from one to another. Your dof looks good with fine details in the BF and it’s perch as well as some nice color in the background. There’s a touch of softness along the leading edge of the wings, which again is common as these bfs seldom stand still.

These butterflies always rotate slightly when being photographed. There’s some slight softness around the back edge of the eye due to the limited DOF. Other than that–Well done…Jim