Fleeting Light

This was shot at the start of last year on a cold February morning at Bryce canyon. A few minutes before and a few minutes after it was snowing and then there was a brief light show. I didn’t have time to really make a composition so I had to make do with what was in front of me.

I like the diffused directional light in this image but do you think the composition holds enough interest?

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any feedback

What artistic feedback would you like if any? anything

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@Nathankleinphotos

Nathan, this is a nice look at Bryce under conditions that most folks won’t see. The lighting shows off the shapes in that central patch of snow especially well. I do think that blues in the clouds is a bit strong.

I honestly think that Bryce is best photographed when covered in snow. I really like what the light peeking from the behind and I don’t mind the blue in the sky. Maybe this is me rejecting the 3:2 aspect ratio (I am sorry), I kinda wish just a sliver more at the bottom if you have something there.

Nathan,
It holds enough interest for me as I think you did well with what you were presented with so quickly. The white of the freshly fallen snow contrasts rather nicely with the warmer tones of Bryce’s rock formations. The light is very nice and the cloud laden sky adds some drama to the scene. My only suggestion would be to dial back the blue in the clouds just a touch; particularly the URC. I hope you were able to capture some images while it was snowing.

The light is certainly the cream here, Nathan - a lovely array of lights and shadows on the rocks and in the sky. To be honest I don’t find the comp too compelling but I still think the shot was well worth taking for the effect of the light.

@Mark_Seaver @Adhika_Lie @Ed_Lowe @Ian_Wolfenden thank you for your input on this image. I was thinking that the blues looked a bit bold while processing but decided to go ahead with it anyway. I do find that most people accept warm colours being pushed further than cool colours.

Below is another rendition with the same saturation levels on the blues but the luminosity of the blues reduced. IE done with the HSL slides in PS. I find it interesting how it changes the mood.

I agree with you Ian on the comp being average. It was one of those shoot the light where you’re standing shots or miss out alltogether. I hear you Adhika on the 2:3 ratio. I go through phases where I only use 4:5 or 5:7 but I’m using this downtime to try to be more diverse.