Flora Chaos +RP

Edit: repost below. Cropped, enhanced the lupine blurs a little bit and also softened/blurred some of the surrounding elements.

… for lack of a better title.

Had fun seeking out scenes where I could shoot wide open throwing bg out of focus AND also for situations where I could “cram” some color by shooting through other flowers. In this case, Lupine. A green grassy area with a fairly diverse number of flowers and color.

I’m posting two versions and am curious which one you prefer, and why. I’m wondering if I should crop the first one to get the main flower out of center?

Too much time on the internet trying to ID the yellow flower. I think Helenium autumnale or Common Sneezeweed. But I’m not sure. Can anyone ID this? Eastern Sierra Nevada range elevation around 8,500ft.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Processing, color, etc.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I’m wishing the main flower in focus was alone without the flower behind, but I left the scene as found. What, if anything can improve the composition.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Nikon D800E, Tamron 70-200mm @200mm f/4.0. single frame(s)

2 Likes

Lon,
Happy to see someone else that likes to ID the wildflowers we get to see. I believe the flower is is an Arnica, with many varieties possible. I love the color mix of the yellow & green and think colors are spot on. This image places me in a Sierra meadow

My nits are I find the blurred Lupines look like smudges and make me want to wipe the screen. I do think a closer crop would be nice as well as re-position the subject. The top BG brown spots remind me of my nemesis dust on the sensor so I am not too fond of that.

I think the concept is interesting, Lon and works better in the upper image. I think the framing of the upper one is best of the two, but could see a crop from the top to just above the sprig of leaves on the left side.

The color and processing look good to me.
-p

Lon: Beautiful little scene well seen and captured. I much prefer the first comp. In the second there is too much empty space right and top for my tastes. The position of the flowers in the first suits me much better. As for the cram, us Florians like this kind of stuff and I think the color wash is just fine. Keep posting over here, especially with such beautiful results.>=))>

1 Like

Thanks for the comments folks! Appreciate it!

@KenHebert I can see your reaction to the blurred lupine - almost like there should be more of an effect, or none. I tried to enhance a little. I too was wondering about the little seed pods(?) I kinda liked them oof, but can see how they can remind one of dust bunnies… :roll_eyes: :wink:

Those little guys are quite prolific in the meadow grasses - and they appear to be coming out of the grass clumps, so I’m assuming seed-pod thingies… Below are more from a different scene and time.

Thanks @Preston_Birdwell and @Bill_Fach! So Bill, there’s a new term for me, “color wash” is that the same, or a little different than “cramming” I gotta get up to speed with these terms if I’m to post more than occasionally… and I just might have a few more.

:smile:

The first image is my preference. There is no doubt that the yellow flowers dominate and are enhanced by the blue “cram”. The second image emphasizes the brown seed pods and the yellow and white grouping is secondary. Do enjoy the feeling of the flowers “blowing in the wind”.

1 Like

Lon
I juST saw this - don’t know how I missed it! Its lovely… The original image is my favorite. I think the OOF blue is fine - the yellow flowers are the subject. We have these flowers here on the little mountain (really a big hill) that I live on. I think they are helenium???