Flowing Needles

A back eddy in the upper Sacramento River. Needles are falling, it’s so dry here.

What technical feedback would you like if any? What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any comments welcome. Does the toning feel ok?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Single frame, a73r, f/8, 1/800s, ISO 400, hand held.

1 Like

Bonnie,

I really love this image! The black water, arrangement of needles and flow of the foam make this abstract small scene very striking and dynamic. No nits or suggestions. I would print this one and hang it!

Bonnie, I really like the flow through the image the foam creates. It makes the eye swirl around almost endlessly. Just don’t get dizzy. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for sharing!

Love the flow and the textures going on here Bonnie. It has a wonderful abstract feel. Just wondering if you consider black & white? Would be interesting to try. Great job of seeing and executing.

Thanks, @Alan_Kreyger, @Adam_Bolyard, and @linda_mellor.

Linda - I did try it in b&w, but it didn’t do anything for me. The needles and bubbles become too much alike in b&w.

Good to know Bonnie. . . . .would have tried myself, just on a tight schedule this week. Thanks for letting me know.

Another great abstract Bonnie, the shapes of the foam remind me of amoebas swimming around. The arrangement of everything here looks very well thought out. What I especially like about this image is that the foam bubbles are a warm tone rather than a pure white. Having warm foam works really well in conjunction with the needles. I can see why you prefer this in color over B&W, the colors are what make this image work for me, and not the shapes.

Wonderful abstract Bonnie. All the elements come together nicely.

1 Like

Thanks, @Ed_McGuirk. I did give the foam a warmish tone, and I feel the same way about the color vs. b&w.

Bonnie, To me it’s an abstract. Still I can see various things in it. And that is the beauty of your painting, sorry image. Love it.

1 Like

I wish I had your eye for these intimate scenes Bonnie. I love the way that this comes together; it’s the full combination of elements that makes for a rather attractive abstract.

1 Like

Really nice extract. I find it artistic. The white bubbles on a black background works well. I imagine the darkness was rendered in post processing.

@Igor_Doncov, thanks. The background was fairly dark to start with, as this was made mid-day in really bright light. The water was dark, but sort of brownish, so I gave it a bit of a blue tone and did darken it a bit more.

I love this small scene abstract. The interplay between the larger bubbles, the smaller strokes and the needles is just amazing. Very well captured. The brown tint of the bubbles match the color of the needles.

1 Like