Focus Stacking High Dynamic Range Scenes

How do you approach a high DR scene where you need (want) to also focus stack.

Do you:

1. bracket exposures at each focus point?
  2. take different exposures at different focus points ?

If you bracket for each focus point, how do you blend? I usually use luminosity masks to blend exposure or blend if and i find that if i do that at each focus point it will be crazy.

Curious about your workflow and/or recomendations

1 Like

Great question, it’s tough. I try to avoid both exposure blending and focus stacking at all costs because I’m lazy and try to minimize postprocessing time, but I realize for some types of images it’s necessary :slight_smile:

In a way I view making exposures simply as “data collection” - just trying to gather as much as I might possibly need. In those situations I would ensure I captured the full dynamic range of each focus point. 99% of the time I am able to make a satisfactory image by just blending together 2 or 3 frames (e.g. a light exposure of the land focused close, a light exposure of the land focused far, and a dark exposure of the sky), but if I am unable to make an image up to my standards simply because I am too lazy to do enough data collection, it haunts me forever.

For blending, it of course depends on the image. If it’s a “classic” landscape image that is a wide view of a foreground, midground, and background with a sky, I’d probably focus stack by hand painting a mask in photoshop with a brush. For the sky, I would first try the automatic exposure blending in lightroom and photoshop, but a lot of the time I’d just use the quick select tool in photoshop to select the sky and then zoom in really close and refine it by hand. There’s certainly many different tools for each but most of the time I trust my own meticulous masking over an automated solution.

1 Like

Thanks @Brent_Clark for the through answer
What you said makes sense. I guess it is always better ti have the extra frames and not use them as opposed to not having but needing them

1 Like