Forest Glow

Took this shot on a local work - what drew me to capture it was the amazing light hitting a while tree in the middle of what was pretty much a dark forest.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’d like to know if the composition & colour works & if there’s anything I could do to add more depth to the shot or try to shift the focus more towards the light hitting the tree centre of frame

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

6 Likes

I like this scene, Dale. A beautifully dark forest, pierced by light. My eye is drawn to the light hitting the white trees, so I don’t know that there is any issue with that. You could brighten the trees but I don’t think it is necessary.
Well done capturing this!

2 Likes

Beautiful forest scene. You might darken the bright highlights on the tree on the left to keep focus more on the glow from the rear.

1 Like

Oh this is pretty wonderful. The light is soft, yet dramatic and it speaks of a deep wood, isolated, yet approachable. There’s a sense of earthiness and damp leaves. You could brighten the center tree and darken the one on the left…it might help further illustrate the extension of the light and how it gets softer and less bright as it travels through the scene. Totally enchanting.

1 Like

Hi @dalegphoto I really like this intimate scene you captured! It reminds me a lot of Charlotte Gibbs work.

I feel that you pretty much nailed the composition with this one. I really like how the light rays come from the upper right corner and then proceed to the left Golden Ration line where the tree is. The only thing I’d like to see more of is the fern in the bottom of the image. It’s cut off and I would love to see it fully represented in the image (and lightened significantly).

Some post processing suggestions you may consider are to dodge and burn some of the highlights to shift the viewer’s eye to the more interesting areas of the image. Our eyes are attracted to the most brightest areas of the image and that’s not always where we want our viewer’s eye to go. See the embed image for suggests.

And then finally a hint of a vignette would really keep the viewer’s attention in the center of the image!

Cheers!

1 Like

I might have considered doing this to accomplish that purpose. It’s a simpler composition that zeros in on the center of the frame.

2 Likes

This is a very fine scene. High contrast that you handled well, but still very nice soft light.
I like to see a rework if you follow the suggestions proposed by @Kris_Smith and @Michael_Torkildsen. But @Ed_McGuirk’s radical crop is very effective, and the result surprising.

1 Like

Dale,
The lighting is exquisite in this woodland scene, but I think this is one of those times when less is more. I think @Ed_McGuirk’s crop distills the image down to the only three things you need; the light, the fern and the clump of birch. Just my opinion of course.

2 Likes

You really captured the essence of a woodland scene. I had not though of it, but @Ed_McGuirk nailed this one with his portrait orientation keeping what’s needed and eliminating all else. However, I would love to see a revision with @Michael_Torkildsen 's suggested edits. That one has me intrigued as well. Beautiful scene Dale.