Forest Park Tree Canopy

On a recent trip to Portland, Oregon, I took a hike in one my favorite places, Forest Park. Fall color was peaking and the forest was magical and beautiful.

I only had my phone with me and this image was the most interesting one I captured.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Original BW:

Reposted BW with burned trunk:

Original color:

4 Likes

Your image just jumped out at me as I was cruising the forums. The largest foreground tree stretching up to the oxbow type bend tree gap is really interesting. The thinner clump of trees below the largest one works very well with the overall composition. The best camera is the one in your hand.

1 Like

Thanks, @Keith_Flood!

Agree 100%!

It’s really cool how you arranged those branches so they fit perfectly like a jigsaw puzzle. Together with the dark trunks and branches you have a very attractive design. My only recommendation is to burn the sunlit areas on the tree trunks.

1 Like

I really love the bright gap between the tree canopies- it is like a meandering trail taking me through the image. Very nice eye to spot this photo opportunity! Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

@Igor_Doncov, I appreciate your support. Thanks for your recommendation to burn the trunks - I was curious if they would draw any comments.

@Terrance_Alexander, Glad you like it. I looked up because the forest was rather dense and I am always looking for that different composition. I saw the trail and knew I had found my composition.

What a small camera can be for us! Such a great image shot by it, I mean by you, Matt.

1 Like

Agreed, @Ben_van_der_Sande, when the technology meets the vision, good things happen.

1 Like

Matt, the halo effect around the trees is really wonderful, great vision on your part to see this. We usually see these “staring up at trees” shots in color, but this works really well in B&W, it enhances the graphic effect. I think if this was in color with a blue sky that the halo might not be as visually interesting. I would also suggest burning down the trunk.

1 Like

Wow, this proves that photography is mainly and above all, our mind and our eyes, our perception, our creativity, our imagination. Beyond that, we just need some basic tech to capture all of these onto a single moment. Absolutely stunning… we can always dodge this and burn that, but it really does not matter. What matters is that you were able to see the hidden image, on a sea of leaves :slight_smile: I really like the choice of BW here, as it allows us to concentrate on the essentials: lines and forms. Don’t know if it would work with the colored version, it would be interesting if you shared with us, just out of curiosity. In any case, nicely done Matt! :clap:

1 Like

@Nikos, Agree 100%. My development as a photographer occurs internally and I use the equipment as tools to help express it.

The BW of this image is far more interesting than the color as the leaves and trunks were mostly in shade against a light background. I’ve processed the original color version a bit and posted it above, but I don’t have the skill to transform it into an amazing color image or wish to spend much time on it because I much prefer the BW version.

@Igor_Doncov, @Ed_McGuirk, I’ve reposted the BW after some burning of the trunk. Let me know what you think.

I have to say that the color version is awfully good as well. It just goes to show that a good image will show well no matter how you present it. The top left area in the color version may need some work. On the positive side, the sun patches look more natural In color. I’m not sure why.

1 Like

Thanks for validating the strength of this image, @Igor_Doncov.

Amazing the way the key fits in the lock here Matt; glad you grabbed this scene.

2 Likes

Thanks, John. Funny how that works.

1 Like