Free ride

Saw this walking stick (Phasmida family) several week’s ago on our truck in the carport. It’s a little over 6" long. Then the end of May it was back on our truck with its friend (little walking stick- not sure must be a baby walking stick?). We were about to leave with the truck, so I gently encouraged them off of the truck. Never knew walking sticks were so fast. These two raced across the carport into the grass and high tailed it up into a grove of cedar trees. I started shooting as soon as they got on the concert and stopped when I could no longer see them in the trees. Fascinating.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I cropped to 1:1 and did minor edits in LR. Any comments are welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any are encouraged and welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D7200, f/16, 1/400sec., iso 500, 70-300mm @122mm

Thanks

Linda, what a fun experience. This is a good catch, especially given your description of how fast they moved. I suspect that this is a mating pair (although I don’t know walking sticks very well). In Preying Mantis, the female is considerable larger than the male.

Thanks Mark. I did wonder if it was a mate, but discounted that idea because partly of the size but also it’s coloring looked transparent (except for the green). Typically the walking sticks I’ve seen have a crusty type skin resembling tree bark. I Googled it but didn’t find much, anyone else have some ideas?

Very cool experience, Linda, and they’re certainly showing off their ability to stay unnoticed. I think Mark is right about them being a pair. Here’s a link to a Texas newspaper story about giant Walking Sticks with a picture of a pair mating. the coloration is a bit different, but it gives the idea.

Thanks Dennis. Yes, Mark was right. After doing more research, I’ve discovered apparently I’d interrupted them. Although in my defense, it didn’t appear that stopped them at all. And thanks also for the web link (McKinney Falls, we’ve been there several years ago) I like to know as much as possible about the various creatures are that I’m living among.

What a nice fine, Linda. We don’t have any that large here in NC that I know about. I have never even had a chance to photograph them. I think you did a really nice job capturing this image, especially considering the speed.

Thanks Shirley, I think I clocked them at about 5mph.

Very interesting image and extremely well presented, in my opinion. Did you you know that there is a psychological term named after stick insects? It’s called the “Stick Insect Syndrome”. It refers to the fact that once your attention is drawn to something, you notice that object (or behaviour) more. For example, if I say to you: “many Mercedes Benz cars have one brake light that does not work.” – you will notice that every time you see one, ignoring all the other automobiles which have brake lights that don’t work.

Thanks Pieter. No, I hadn’t heard of the “stick insect syndrome.” . . . .interesting thought. Glad you like the photo.

1 Like