Friar Bird

Rework - Added contrast on the bird, particularly around his head and neck. Burned down foreground flowers.

The weeping boer-bean tree in my garden only flowers once a year. When it does many nectar-eating birds and insects come to feast on the flowers.

I climbed onto the garage roof to capture the bird who, I think, looks quite prehistoric with the knob on the black-skinned head.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments and criticisms are welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
1/640 f6.3 ISO 6400 150-600mm@430 Hand-Held.

Mostly processed in Camera Raw using Linear Profile. Some minor background clean-up in Photoshop.

Hi Glenys,

This is a neat looking bird. Tweak up the contrast slightly and that might be the only edit that I would do at this time. Well done…Jim

I like the composition you have here. Very nice detail in the bird . I lke the contrast of the red flowers and green background. Well done.

Beautiful job on the bird, Glennie. I agree with Jim that a bit more contrast (at least in the bird) would make it pop more. As an aside, when you’re assigning tags, it would be nice if you included the region where the photo was taken. Just scroll down the list of tags and you should find it. You can assign as many tags as you think are appropriate.

Very cool looking bird. The branch and flowers add to the story and the image. The linear profile here has left the image pretty flat. Here’s a version pushing the blacks down and a small boost in contrast.

Hi Glenys
Very cool looking bird. (were would one find it). The framing and back story are interesting. Keep up the good work.
Peter

Thank you for your comments!

I’ll look for a tag next time. This bird was shot in Ipswich, (just outside Brisbane) Australia.

Thanks, Keith, for taking the time to show what can be done with the linear profiles. I’ve only just started looking at using them. I’m sure I’ll get the hang of it.