From the garden w/ re-post

Re-post:

Original:

Description:

A high key photo of a dahlia from out garden. I used a very small aperture to get maximum focus on a single image.

Specific Feedback Requested:

All comments welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

D850, 60mm, 3 sec @ f36, ISO 64

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) No

2 Likes

Hi Steve,

Your camera settings worked well to capture this dahlia in high key. The image is very clean and provides and reminds me of a detailed colored pencil sketch of this flower. I would be tempted to crop some off the bottom of the frame. Very well done…Jim

Thanks @Jim_Zablotny! I will look at a potential crop.

f/36 did the trick. Good sharpness and detail. You could try nudging the blacks a bit deeper here, it seems a tad light to me and I agree with Jim about losing some at the bottom. If you use the TK panels you could experiment with masking the middle of the flower and deepening the blacks just there. Great color. I can imagine how beautiful they are in your yard.

Thanks for the comments @Kris_Smith. I subtly increased the blacks in the flower center using a radial filter in Lightroom. I just acquired the TK panel and am still learning how to use it. I also used @Jim_Zablotny’s suggestion and cropped a little off the bottom.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Nice job! You could add this image to the original post so we can see them one after the other. It makes for easier comparison.

Good suggestion @Kris_Smith! Thanks!

Well done.

The balance between the back and frontal light is perfect. There’s lots of backlight to make the lower petals translucent and the front light isn’t so strong that it deletes the same transparency.

I agree with those who suggest different crop. There’s a lot of stem that starts to dominate the subject.

My favorite flower and you’ve represented it quite well, Steve. I really like the white background/high key feel.

The repost is a big plus.

@David_Bostock and @paul_g_wiegman, thank you for the comments. I appreciate your help.

1 Like