Frost

This past winter we had a few days of some wonderful frosty mornings. The conditions were right for rime ice on this morning so I headed up on top of the ridges a few miles from home. I saw lots of frost but nothing I thought would make a really nice image showing what it was really like. Then I turned off the road I was on headed to a hill top and came across this view. Right at that time the light was wonderful and I made a couple of shots. This is just what I saw that morning and I was taken in by it’s beauty. Amazing what nature can show us.

Specific Feedback Requested

All thoughts welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
I shot this image with a Canon 5DMk4, Tamron 35-150 F2.8-4 @ 46mm, ISO 400, F/11, 1/400 sec and no filters.

10 Likes

Oh wow. The fog, the light, the composition, just perfect. This is a fantasy, story book image, Nick. Absolutely fantastic. Can’t think of a thing to change. Well done.

1 Like

Winter is my favorite season and you captured it so beautifully! I agree with @David_Bostock it’s like out of a fairy tale.

David and Vanessa, Thank you so much! I felt the same way when I saw this scene. It was just like i was in a fairy tale and just hoped I could capture it before it was gone. The scene I saw that morning was just what this picture shows and I captured two frames. It was a winter morning I will remember for a long while. Thank you, Nick

2 Likes

Oh my. What a remarkable image. This one just exudes emotion. That’s a quality of most of your images. I like the fact that there is blue sky above. A lot of fog images are largely used to limit the tonal range for an intimate landscape. But here the fog is not all pervasive with fg and sky being clear. Although I’ve witnessed scenes like this in New Hampshire you would pretty much need to live in such a climate to capture such a moment. And of course you would have to recognize it’s significance.

PS. There might be a purplish cast to some of the image. I’m not even sure if that’s unnatural, much less undesirable. I like that hue.

What a stunning image! Absolutely beauiful compostion, light, and colors. One small nit, in the totally subjective category: I find the brightly lit vegitation at the bottom distracting and would consider darkening the whites in that part of the photo. I used luminoity masks and did so like:

_53A0036. 2. copy 2.jpgB copy

2 Likes

Man, this is just beautiful Nick. This looks like a winter holiday card. I’ve not seen rime ice before. It looks hard and pointy…a testament to the nice contrast from the low sun running over the bumps in the foreground snow/ice. And like Igor, I love the fog combined with the soft, soft blue sky.

Igor, Thanks so much for your thoughts on this one. It was one amazing morning and I’m so glad I captured a couple of images of it. There is a little purplish cast in this image and that is all natural…and like you I found it quite pleasing in the scene. Many thanks, Nick

Tony and Mark, Thank you so much and I’m so glad you both liked this image. It truly was one special morning and I’m so glad I ended up where I did to capture this scene.
Tony, I like your version too with the foreground whites darkened a little.

Holy cow! I wouldn’t change a pixel. Every element has just fallen into place.

1 Like

The flow of the fence and trees from LLC to the right and then back to the ULC is very pleasing.

This is such a beautiful picture.
It has an dynamic flow to the composition. Very nice.

Well somebody had a very productive winter this past year !!!
I just love how the composition pulls my eye deeper into the heavier mist in the background.

This is an already excellent image, but I think @Tony_Siciliano suggestion to take down the foreground highlights takes it up another notch.

Glennie, Dean, Joao and Ed, Thanks so much to all of you for taking time to comment on this. I’m so pleased that you all enjoyed seeing it and It truly was one special winter morning. Thanks for the suggestions as well. Nick

This is a real beauty, Nick. Great dreamy look. I would not change a thing.

What a great winter image you have captured here!

Nick love the graceful curve of trees in the BG and of course the entire image . Congrats!

I’m late here but have to add a WOW to the comments! You found a gorgeous composition to show off the frost and the magic light. I love the color transition from the FG blues to the cyan sky. I think @Tony_Siciliano’s suggestion about toning down the FG highlights is a great idea.

What a rare moment! Exceptional shot at daybreak! Superb element placement, color, and texture. I agree with @Tony_Siciliano about decreasing contrast of the FG texture in order to harmonize this component with the remainder of the image. I can also imagine very gently lifting the shadows of the foreground bush and fenceline in the LLC. This area has a greater degree of visual weight given its darkness relative to the remainder of the image. While this does anchor the viewer, I can imagine the anchor still successful even gently lifted. Of course, that is an artistic statement so do as you will.

1 Like

Harley, Ola, Mario, Diane and Jim, Thanks so much for your comments and suggestions. All well taken so thank you. Nick