Full of Fluff

Hey everyone! I just bought my first ever brand new camera (my previous ones I have always bought used), the Nikon D500. So far, I’m in love. My dad and I went out yesterday to test it out for the first time.

We found Red Necked Grebes and Black Terns and on the way back to my Jeep, we spotted this adorable Yellow Warbler collecting things for his nest.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@jenayalaunsteinphotography

2 Likes

What a nice way to break in a new camera. Good for you! I like the composition and inclusion of habitat as well as the complimentary bg colors. I might clone out or smudge over that bit of a black bud near end of branch warbler is on. A really nice activity shot.

1 Like

Congrats on your new camera, I have one as well and it’s by now the body I use most. You’ll with doubt make amazing images with it. This is a fine example. Nice behavioural shot, wonderful colours. Love it ! Hans

1 Like

Congratulations on the new camera, Jenaya. From the results I’ve seen here with that gear, you’ll be very pleased. I’m not sure what lenses you have, but from what I’ve seen the Nikon 200-500 is a beautiful wildlife tool when you can afford it.

This is a really beautiful image as well as showing some neat behavior. Excellent job on the exposure of the fluff-it’s so easy to blow that out. I see what David means about the bud, but I tend to favor leaving it.

1 Like

Excellent color, detail, light, and action on this Yellow Warbler. Well composed. As David says, I might cloud out the bug at the end of the branch where the warbler is currently sitting. It does grab my eye. You could probably clone some of the white fluffy stuff over it.

1 Like

You have to love an image that tells a story, and what a great story you captured. Nice focus, nice background blur. No nits, but did you do any vignette to the edges? They are a bit light, and maybe just a bit darker would hold the eye in the photo without loosing the light airy feel of the image.

1 Like

Thank you! I actually didn’t even notice that dark bit, haha.

Thank you so much, Hans!

Thank you, Dennis! I actually bought the 200-500 in 2017 and it’s pretty much the only lens I use. This photo was taken with it, too. :slight_smile:

Thanks David! I didn’t even notice it there, haha

Thank you so much, Cheryl! I didn’t do any vignettes, but I was shooting through branches, so I’m wondering if that’s creating the effect you are talking about.

While reading your reply and see I wrote ‘with’ doubt, which of course should be ‘without’ doubt :wink: . But I guess you got that :slight_smile:

1 Like

I find the brightness of the image quite pleasing and the overall colors of the surroundings work well with the warbler. Good detail and nice environmental/action shot.

1 Like

Congrats on the new camera! The D500 is a truly incredible camera. Really cool action shot. IQ is pretty good, and I love the setting. If mine, I’d run some NR on the background. Can’t wait to see more.

1 Like