Fun with Color

Or, put another way, why did I even shoot this that I had to resort to filters in Photoshop? Admittedly, I usually don’t spend a lot of time in PS attempting to be super creative and this clearly is a result knowing I wasn’t going to do anything with the original capture, so I just started experimenting and this is what I came up with.

My bigger question is and the reason I’m posting is to talk about the original. Actually, it’s a vertical crop from a horizontal, but the capture pretty much contains all the same stuff. Question is, what is your approach in the field in an overwhelming sea of color and beauty? And then to have the sun pop over the horizon and douse the scene with hot light. I think the general rule is to pack up and leave.

In this particular scene, it wasn’t practical to get closer to do any cramming or other close up tries. There was a small creek - I guess I could have stood in… but more importantly, to get closer, I would have had to trample as many wildflowers as I was going to capture, so I opted to photograph standing on pine needles and rock…

What would you do? maybe some ICM’s - I could have tried that, some blurs or zoom in with even longer lens? Anyway, here’s my experiment with PS “oil painting” filter, some Orton and a couple other layers and some cloning. following is the original with some minimal cleanup, crop, a light Orton and Levels layer.

As always, your comments appreciated and especially your thoughts on approach to this scenario.

Thanks!

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything. Where does one draw the line between personal creativity and just clicking on sliders and premade filters… AND what to do with the original capture? Not even shoot?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Nikon D800E, Tamron 70-200/2.8 @200mm, f/6.3, 1/13th iso 400, tripod

Lon: If the scene has bluebonnets (lupines for you non-Texans) it needs to be shot :wink:. I usually don’t let bad light dissuade me all that much because like what you’ve done here lemonade does come from lemons. I like what you’ve accomplished here. The oil paint and Orton effects are very nicely done and I like the color a lot. In the field I do try to remember to shoot with a polarizer to cut down glare off leaves. :+1::+1:>=))>

I much prefer the horizontal crop and I might even take a bit more off the right side. I would prefer it without the oil painting filter, maybe with just some Orton? My take, anyway. The light works well for me and so does the scene.