Gap Light

This seascape from the coast of Maine was the last image I took in early March 2020 before going into Covid lockdown. After shooting this sunrise, I ate breakfast in a restaurant, my last restaurant visit since a year ago.

This location is about a 90 minute drive from my house. Photographing sunrise along the coast can be tricky, getting the right weather and tides. I watch the weather forecast and only make the long drive when there is potential for a good sunrise. On this morning the percent cloud cover was forecast at 40%, usually a good number to gamble on. But as I drove north to Maine, the clouds just kept getting thicker. However, the photo gods were kind on this morning, shortly before sunrise a gap in the clouds appeared at the horizon. The warm light shot through the gap and illuminated the cliffs.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any critique or comments are welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Bracketed exposures for dynamic range, and manually blended them using TK Luminosity masks.

Canon 5D MK4, Canon 16-35mm f4 lens, at 18 mm, ISO 100.

3 Likes

I knew this was yours before I even opened it, Ed. What drama! Those cliffs. I feel like you’ve brought me to Maine again. The rocks are so incredible, both the cliff and the shoreline with the striations and layers. I think the blend worked well and the shadows are deep and mysterious in the corners. At first I thought they were too dark, but given the position of the sun, they’re not. The cliff dominates, but I think the addition of the sunburst (rays) gives weight to that side of the image and balances. Just gorgeous. I can’t complain about anything. A scroll crop of the sky intrigues me though…it improves the proportions I think.

Beautiful image, Ed. The light is gorgeous. No nits here. That said, I do like Kris’ crop thought. It doesn’t necessarily make it better, just different. I tried it in PS and really like it, but I also really like it as presented. Win/win.

Simply gorgeous light Ed! That cliff face is just on fire and pulls a lot of attention but as Kris said, I think the sun with the starburst balances that out. The colors are dramatic and appropriate for a sunrise and the leading lines of the foreground rocks draw me well into the scene. I love the warm light kissing the rocks in front of the sun and wonder if more of that golden glow could be spread around more of the foreground rocks. The composite works really well but I think the lower corners are just slightly too dark. I also did a scroll crop and Like what I see but it’s also fine as presented. One is not better than the other. I like the dominance of the rock wall in the version presented, but I also like a crop which makes my eyes work the scene a little bit more. Either way, you were certainly able to relish in your accomplishment while enjoying that last restaurant meal for the year.

Beautiful image Ed, especially the light.

Nice timing here Ed. The rocks that are blocking the light and keeping the foreground water in shade provide a nice contrast to the vibrant rock wall.

I remember this beautiful image from your website, Ed. I think this is about as good as it gets when you combine the rugged Maine coastline with some warm light at sunrise along with a beautiful cloud laden sky. Of course the sunstar is the final piece of the puzzle. After I get my second Covid shot I am going to make some plans to head to this location; although the drive for me will be a little longer than 90 minutes. :laughing: I just wish I had made it to this spot since I was so close in February 2020.

Beautiful Image Ed. I really like the lighting on the rock and the sun star. I wish I was there. Thank you for sharing.

Ed,
No nits, this really a stunning image that I have appreciated on your website. Having breakfast at a restaurant after a sunrise shoot seems so long ago. I look forward to that again one day.