Geminid Meteor Shower

This is a composite of 18 images taken over a period of about 90 minutes looking south over lake Erie during the peak of the Geminid meteor shower on Dec 14. I tried the previous evening but it was the tail end of some severe weather and high winds. My luck was better last night as it was calm, clear and relatively warm for early December . I had some challenges as the moon was fairly bright at the begin of my sequence and set by the end. The yellow light is the cities of Ohio on the other side of Lake Erie

Specific Feedback Requested

is the yellow from the city lights distract from the image. Do you think it is worth adding selective adjustments in photoshop to reduce the saturation or change the color?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: Yes
18 images layered in photoshop with each meteor masked into a background image to avoid star movement

@bryannelsonca
2 Likes

I like the city lights and their color. Maybe straighten the lighthouse? How did you manage to avoid communication satellites?

Bryan,
This sounds like a lot of work, but the end result is certainly worth it! The yellow from the city lights does not bother me one bit. My only suggestion would be to straighten the lighthouse. Great visualization on your part to make this image happen.

What a dramatic pleasure to watch. Nice description of your work to come up with this image.
In our Seattle area, Geminids are almost never seen due to the typically rainy December weather. I saw one flash between the clouds the other night, so that was a small thrill. To see this image, I feel like I did not miss the show.
I agree with others that the amber colors are a real plus.

I was lucky to have a clear night. I live close to the great lakes and December is typically very grey overcast with rain or snow but not as bad as Seattle.

I selected a base or background image which did not have planes or satellites. Each meteor was masked in individually so I made sure not include planes or satellites.

Lighthouse straightened in this version. I also used all the 400 plus images to make a short time lapse video.