Get Cracking

On the Schoodic Peninsula of Acadia National Park there are large stretches of broad granite rock shelves along the shoreline. And the forest vegetation comes right up to the edge of these shelves as well. This can be a great place to photograph, because the granite has interesting colors, textures and lichen that contrast with the forest vegetation. These rock shelves are also littered with all manner of shellfish remains dropped by the sea gulls on the rocks to crack them open for a meal. I was amazed to see an entire lobster claw among these remains. This found scene was in a very remote area where not many people go, so only a gull could have done this.

All I have to say is that I would hate to run into the gull that was able to carry a lobster !!

With apologies to The B52’s, perhaps I should have titled this image “Rock Lobster” instead.

Specific Feedback Requested

any critique or comment is welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D MK4, Canon 100mm Macro lens, ISO 100, 0.3 sec at f16.

1 Like

You stole my thunder with the mention of the B52’s “Rock Lobster” Ed. :laughing: I know this will date me, but I still have their “Cosmic Thing” CD that I play every now and then. Anyway, this is a wonderful find IMO. I am really enjoying the textures of the Acadia granite along with the vegetation creeping it’s way across across the frame. Of course the bleached lobster claw makes this image unique. I too would hate to meet the gull that could carry off a lobster. Beautifully done and no suggestions from me.

Yep, I think you should change the name. “Rock Lobster” works well for this scene. Terrific texture and lines in rock, particularly the bottom center where he lines mimic the branches of the creeping vegetation. I love the color variation of the rock as well. That is one seriously bleached out lobster claw Ed! So suggestions from me on this one Ed.

That certainly is a giant claw. I think it has good texture in the sense that you can feel it’s smoothness without touching it. There is also a menacing aspect to this image due to it’s teeth. Overall though this doesn’t work real well. I might make this b&w and darken all else besides the claw? Even just desaturating the greens might be good.

I like the contrast of the bleached claw against the rock and ground cover plants.

Nice find, Ed. As others have pointed out, the contrasts are quite pleasing and the textures practically tactile. Did you place it next to the plants? If so, it works, if not, thanks the gulls for me.