Getting Some Grub!

What technical feedback would you like if any?Is the crop adequate and was I successful in handling the nuthatch in shadow against a very bright BG?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Comp OK?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500 600mm f4 (1/1250 sec. at f7.1, ISO 1250, +2ev Exposure Compensation). Crop for comp to 8x10, Topaz DeNoise AI, Shadow & Highlights, Brightness & Contrast, Increased midtone contrast with curves adjustment on Luminosity Mask. One of the few sunny mornings that I have experienced on groundhog’s day. I caught this white-breasted nuthatch in the act as it was tearing into a rotted snag. I also removed an OOF grass stem in the lower RH corner…Jim

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

jameszablotny

Nicely done Jim. I like that the bird is nice and square to the camera. Lots of detail and exposure looks spot on. I think the composition is fine. One option would be to have the bird in right half but I think the snag would be overpowering. Fine as is.

1 Like

Excellent image. The snowy conditions add good light and atmosphere, and makes the image a bit surreal. Well seen and executed ! Cheers, Hans

1 Like

A great Nuthatch pose, Jim, with an awesome perch. The tidbit of food is just the right size for this bird.

1 Like

What a uniquely neat pose! Very nice detail on the bird as well.

1 Like

excellent high key look at this not hatch. I like the pose, the perch, and the background. On my monitor, there is a very scant blue cast to some of the snow. This is difficult to remove.

1 Like

I have yet to see one of these guys, much less photograph them, but they are so neat the way they can hang. Great job on this one, Jim.

1 Like

Great shot Jim. The snow is bang on exposure. Beautiful feather detail also. These fellows seem to like the world more upside down than not.

I’ve got the blue cast on the snow as well.

the dark (left) side of the snag appears to be the shadow side and if so would look more natural to the eye rotated left. But it also looks like the bird may be a bit back lit or lit from the right side giving me a false perspective on the snag.

It does look backlit or lit from the right side. This would put the snow in the shadow, would that account for the bluish cast.

Again, taking nothing away from this great shot. I just thought it interesting.

1 Like