Geyser Basin

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Photographing in northern Chile a couple of years ago I decided to see what a nice sun star might look like by just stopping down.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Canon 5D Mark III, 16-35 f/4 @ 18mm
1/200, f/20, ISO 100

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Oh wow, this is beautiful, Keith! The sun start really came out nicely in this, and perfect for the WC.

Keith, that is one very intense sun star / burst in this image. Very fine work for the WC theme…:sunglasses:

That’s an awesome sun star, Keith, and I like the mist rising from the water. An interesting effect with the sun in a dark clear sky and the foreground dark. It works.

Keith: Nicely done. You’ve given a compelling scene an extra boost with the sun star. :+1::+1:>=))>

That’s quite a sunstar, Keith, the rays explode so nicely from the brightness of the sun. The moving water leads well to the rocks and hot mist.

Keith,

That is one mammoth sun star. The high contrast appropriate for that direct light; nicely handled.

Since no one has mentioned, I’ll go ahead. I was thinking there must be a way to correct the oblong distortion of the sun. I think it should be round. Minor nit, but thought I would mention.

Lon