Going Fishing Tern Style

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500 600mm f4 (1/2000 sec at f6.3, ISO 500) 75% crop, Levels, Shadows & Highlights, Brightness & Contrast. I was shocked that I was able to get a common tern diving. Nothing has been altered in the BG. Thank you for looking…Jim

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

This looks really excellent. I know how hard this is because I’ve tried numerous times but you have succeeded. What I like about this is the contrast between the white plumage and the linear slightly out of focus background. Color contrast is superb. You might wish to eliminate the specular highlight in the left lower corner and tone down the others. This is really hard to do with the 600 and catch it at the right time. I’m assuming you had a tripod.

1 Like

Very cool, Jim. You caught a wonderful angle too with the wing and tail spreads showing clearly as well as the tucked up feet. If this were mine, I’d definitely get rid of the specular highlights in the background. and maybe blur it a bit more, though I do like the inclusion of the habitat.

1 Like

Thank you for the critiques. I’ll play around with this image to remove the bright specular highlights and soften up the BG…Jim

This is a dandy. A really dynamic full spread pose with lots of speed . I also like the inclusion of the habitat.

1 Like

Excellent entry position and nice depth of field-isolates the bird beautifully. Very well captured Jim!

1 Like

Hello, Jim, congrats on nailing this pose. In my experience they are fast flyers with very unpredictable movements. Well done ! Cheers, Hans

Awesome capture. Fantastic diving pose of with the spread wings and head first, and well composed. I would have liked to see a little more details in the head, especially around the eyes. Also, the background in the large version appears to be grainy. A round of noise removal should take care of that. Congrats on a fine image.