Going to seed + Re-post

Milkweed that has exploded. Really enjoying watching this plant flower then dry up and produce all these seeds. . . . nature is absolutely fascinating to me.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

True confession here; these little seeds move at the slightest breeze, after numerous attempts to get a clear photo, I ended up capturing one of the pods and putting it in a glass container to photograph. Any thoughts and comments welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Does this say “high key” to you? Other comments welcome and encourage.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D7200, F14, 1/6 sec., iso 200, 75mm

Linda, milkweed seeds are a favorite topic of mine, but I have a hard time getting a view that I like. This shot looks great, with good sharpness across the frame and a fine collection of seeds and tails filling the frame. I do think that brightening up the whites would add nicely.

I like this a lot, Linda. Wind borne seeds always appeal to me and they’re not easy to photograph. You have excellent depth of field and there’s nothing wrong with doing it in a studio setting. For a true high key look, I think I’d dodge the upper left diagonal, though it does show the fine filaments better.

Thanks @Mark_Seaver and @Dennis_Plank for your kind words of encouragement. I did lighten the whites, perhaps too much or not utilizing the best method (curves & levels) and felt I’d lost some detail. Re-post attached.

I’m thinking I’ve forced this image into the weekly challenge a bit too much. I’ve taken several photos that put the milkweed in more of it’s environment and will post them in the “flora” critique section.
Thanks again.

I really like the repost, Linda. The filaments show much better.

Thanks @Dennis_Plank

Linda, the filaments do show better in the repost. However, I don’t think that the bluish tones along the top fit well with the whites in the lower right. Here’s my quick adjustment of your original post. I’ve done significant dodging through a lights luminosity mask and then increased the contrast between the brighter whites and the mid-tones by burning in through a mid-tones mask. If you’re not familiar with luminosity masks, send me a message and I can explain. BTW, in my book you don’t learn if you don’t try.

1 Like

Cool image. I like @Mark_Seaver 's repost with its removal of the color cast. No other thoughts, just a fine abstract.

Thanks Dennis. Yes, I also like the changes Mark made. He has kindly passed along some of his techniques on how he made the changes and I am working on them. Great stuff and lots to learn. Thanks again.