Golden Sunset

An oldie from back in 2008 that I never processed. Sunset on the Gulf of Mexico, specifically Gulf Islands National Seashore near Pensacola Beach, FL.

I posted the image with & without a border. Please let me know which you prefer.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any comments, critiques, and suggestions welcomed.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any comments, critiques, and suggestions welcomed.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Single image shot using Nikon D2x, 12-24 lens @ 16 mm, 1/15 @ f/11, 100 ISO on tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

simplynatureart

You know my answer. There is no comparison.

There’s a lot of subtle complexity to this image. A lot of elements that work well together but are not that obvious. I would probably have made the shadows a bit bluer and likely been wrong in making that decision. At first hand this looks very ordinary, but it grows on you as you see all the components. So it’s a success in that it draws you in. But it’s not an immediate arresting image. Like people, there were the glamorous few in high school and some that were real interesting once you got to know them.

What gorgeous light. As far as the frame, I’m not sure. Seems like it would depend on what overall background is used (I use the dark version).

Wow, I bet you wish you could repeat that experience right now! I enjoy my eyes taking many paths through the scene. I tinkered with it a little; you can decide if any of that moves it toward the feelings you want it to convey.

• I wanted more light on the rushes in the near center and in right background, and less on that clump on the left edge.
  • I burned the bright sand in the lower left 1/3 spot
  • I cooled the sand a bit … the sky did not seem pink enough to generate that color, but maybe the sand there is pinkish from its shell origin.
    I think the bright white border becomes the brightest part of the image, and thereby pulls attention away from the scene. Also makes the scene’s bright areas less bright to the eye.
    Mostly, though I appreciated you reminding me of the joy of being in such places, and getting down and sandy to make an image.

An image that is so natural and yet has that point of focus in the tall grasses to make for a very satisfying composition. Love the light too. As regards the border, I can happily accept it either way, but certainly the border looks good.

Thanks @Igor_Doncov, @Bonnie_Lampley, @Dick_Knudson, and @Ian_Wolfenden for your comments and suggestions.

@Dick_Knudson - Thanks for your revision. I posted it at the top with the originals so people could compare the two and comment more objectively. Just as a note, the white beach sand here in the panhandle of Florida is not of shell origin, but actually mountain origin. Our sand is actually quartz crystals derived from the natural weathering of the Appalachian mountains over millions of years and brought down by the Apalachicola River over 20,000 years ago and deposited over most of the panhandle beaches. Just from living here & shooting the beaches for many years, the pinkish color is realistic a lot of the time, especially when the sun has gone below the horizon.

Very interesting lesson. Thank you, Bill.

My vote is for the frame, Bill. It just seems to finish off the image IMO. I think it gives a beautiful representation of what a finished matted print would look like. The light is exquisite as are all the details and textures in this beach scene. Glad you revisited this one.

Bill, I agree with the others that it’s an image that grows on you and pulls you in with longer viewing. It’s the ‘right sort’ of busy - but when you step back a little you see nicely setup diagonals and textures too.

My only suggestion is in regards to the top-left corner. For some reason the dull cool tone that the sky fades into there just feels off in some way that I can’t quite put my finger on. Maybe a touch more cool to pair more with the cool shadow in the opposite corner.

This is real nice, Bill, a very calm and soothing scene. Put me down for version three and borderless. The big white border clashes with the image to my eye. No other suggestions.

Bill,

A beautiful image - more beautiful than understated, IMHO. Aside from the beautiful, warm light on the sand, one of the first things that came to mind - was the appreciation that you have room above the sea grass! A nitpicky consideration, it’s important for the overall presentation that the tall grass has room.

I like your original colors and processing, but do like Dick’s idea of some selective dodging to bring out the highlights in the sand a little better.

As far as the frame goes I don’t think there is a blanket answer or approach. Personally, your specific image is already a bright and airy presentation so there is no conflict or merging with the darker themed background (Bonnie makes a great point that hasn’t been considered in most discussions with frames and background. I think we all assume everyone uses the dark theme? but maybe not?) Having said all that, the white frame version works too and I have no issues using it. My thought is that this image doesn’t “need” a frame to separate it from the bg.

Lovely, beautiful image no matter how you slice it.

Lon