Grasshopper Imperfecti

Description:

Most think that nature offers ultimate perfection, but life is never perfect and there’s always a more interesting story to be told when explaining imperfection. I found this adult grasshopper perched vertically on mullein and began shooting. Six photos taken, I checked the resulting images to make sure focus and exposure were spot on. Then I noticed the missing hindleg. Apparently, the grasshopper escaped from a predator with the loss of its limb. Even though the grasshopper experienced this trauma, the loss of one limb enabled it to escape and live another day.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques: CD850 200mm f4 micro (1/100 sec at f22, ISO 640) Fill flash, tripod , Topaz DeNoise, crop for comp Brightness & contrast…Jim

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Hi Jim, excellent details including the filaments on the plant. Nice exposure too. Yes, this image definitely tells a story of survival with the missing leg. Well composed and well done.

2 Likes

Jim, you captured him very well, unlike his predator, who let him get away. The details are really nice. Yes, nature has many a story I hate to see/watch, but at the same time I am really amazed at the creation. We just know that everything has to eat, and even though it is hard to watch, or see the results of an attempt at dinner, it is the story of nature. Nice shot.

2 Likes

Jim, I’m constantly impressed with how resilient nature is. I’m constantly bothered by how often nature is presented as this beautiful, peaceful, loving environment. While there is considerable beauty, it is extremely harsh and unforgiving. This is a good look at how life keeps on going, with excellent details in the hopper and its perch.

1 Like

Nice one! It is amazing they can continue after such an amputation. One landed on the deck the other day in the same condition, but I wasn’t as lucky as you to get a photo. Possibly a bird dropped it as it hadn’t fully developed its wings yet, but it was gone when I came back with the camera. I like the upward trajectory of the one in your photo - it speaks of overcoming bad odds.

1 Like