Gray Fox Kit

I have seen as many as three on the trail cam, but this is the first still photo I’ve been able to get. Gray Foxes are usually born in February here in Oklahoma, making this guy about five or six months old.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 60D
Canon 70-300mm IS USM @ 225mm
f/13
1/350 sec.
ISO 2000
Hand Held
Processed in ACR for exposure and cropping. Topaz De-noise applied.

1 Like

What a little cutie. The deep shadows isolate it pretty well (a favorite technique of mine). Seems like s/he’s still growing into those paws. You could clone the bright leaf to the left and even take some off the bottom. So glad you’re bringing us these shots.

Thanks, Kris. Yeah, that makes a good backdrop if I can catch them there at the right time of day. I can tone down those leaves some. I need to post a video in Showcase of the kits running and playing. Pretty cute.

Very cool shot! I really like the sunny spot in front of the shadow. Score. I have an adult Gray Fox that’s been regularly tripping my trail cam when it comes in to nibble on spilt birdseed under my feeder. Always at night. Alas, I never see it in the daytime to try for a quality shot, though. Lucky dog…

Beautiful image, Terry! I love how the sun is lighting up the face! It’s perfect! Like he was posing for you!

He is a cute little guy. Kris has a good call on the leaves and maybe even burn down the grasses a bit? Good portrait of this one.

Thanks @Vanessa_Hill @Harley_Goldman.

@Dave_Douglass These foxes often eat bird seed off a rock where I scatter seed for the ground feeding birds. In fact, the two adults were here this morning, grazing on the seed. They usually come about daybreak, as that’s when I usually spread the seed. Hope you eventually see him in the daylight and get some shots!