Gray Fox

He likes to come snooze on this rock he’s standing on. Though it was broad daylight (I fought the bright sun a bit in these photos) we are having an unseasonable cool spell. It’s funny; if I walk up closer to him so that he can see me all the way, he gets nervous, but not spooked. If I try to hide from him to sneak up on him, when he sees me, he will run. I couldn’t decide which of these poses I like best.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any. Which pose is best?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 60D
Canon 70-300 mm IS USM zoom
f/13
Exposure in multiple values
ISO 1000
Hand Held
Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure, sharpness, and cropping. Topaz De-noise applied.

1 Like

Both beautiful, Terry! I like the one where he’s looking at you because there’s a connection! But I like the profile view as I think it looks more artistic. I think it could even look good cropped and maybe black and white. He obviously is pretty comfortable with you, even though he has his limits! Just don’t do anything wierd like sneaking around! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I liked the one where he’s looking away because I think he looks more “statuesque”, and it better displays his colors. But the ones where they’re looking straight at you are always fun. Got it; no sneaking…

1 Like

These are both wonderful, but that direct look is quite affecting. And clearly, from your description of your time with him, there’s a give and take. You both know what and where you are and are coming to terms. I wonder if repeated exposure will make him a little calmer and less apt to run. Could be interesting. Keep bringing us these shots!

In terms of critique, I’m not sure what to offer. You know the light is a little much, but what can you do? You’ve processed it well and the colors look rich. Both are sharp with the second a little bit too centered for perfection. Can’t you work something out with his agent so he’ll pose at dusk for you?

I like both. Each has its own merits but if a choice is mandatory, no. 2 ( I like the look-at-you pose and the foreground is better.). Bright light: You could get him a large patio umbrella.

1 Like

Thanks @Kris_Smith and @Jim_Gavin . I used to have a couple of large shrubs next to that rock that offered filtered shade, but they died. I need to plant something else. Obviously, he knows nothing of the challenges of shooting in bright light - or he just doesn’t care. These foxes these days…what’re ya gonna do???

Both the poses work for me and I like the rocky plateform he is standing on.
It is good to have a friendly subject close by. You may selectively burn the rock.

1 Like

Thanks, Jagdeep. I’ll see what I can do with the rock.