Great Egret in Caddo Lake, TX

This is my first post to NPN. I’m interested in any type of critique. This was during my first attempt to shoot wildlife from a kayak. The shot has been cropped some from the bottom and right. It was processed in Lightroom. The only specific question I have is whether I brought the shadows up enough. I wanted leave some mystery to the swamp.

Any pertinent technical details:

1/2000, f7.1, ISO 400, 320mm with Canon 100-400 on a 7D

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hi Terri:

A very nice image. I did move your image from the Wildlife critiques to the Avian Critiques since the main subject is Avian.

The lighting and environment are really nice. The view of those large trees in the background really provide a sense of place. The splash from the egret is really a super added bonus as is the reflection.

Nicely captured.

1 Like

Sorry and thank you for moving it to the correct area. I figured I’d mess something up on my first post. :slight_smile:

Thank you also for the feedback!

Beautiful shot for your first post, Terri! I love everything about it. The low point of view, the background, lighting, all seem to just make this shot, but as Keith mentioned, that splash was a super added bonus, as well as the reflection. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

1 Like

Thanks Shirley. I was pleased with how well the splash showed up against the background. I appreciate your time!

Nice image of the Great Egret, Terri. Your timing needless to say makes it even better. Your exposure (management of whites) and framing of the crop look really good. I agree that shooting from a canoe or kayak is a wonderful platform and easy to sneak up, done it many times in places like the Okefenokee.

1 Like

Super photo from a kayak. It takes a knack to shoot from a moving kayak!

1 Like

Hi Terri
Nice work, some times just getting the camera out and framed is a major job form a kayak. You did a great job with the whites, shadow and framing.

Peter

1 Like

I really like the setting. The egret looks well exposed with good detail. I like how you caught the water splash. The reflections also help to make this a very nice composition. Well done.

1 Like

First shot from a kayak = First post = first WP = Yearly Pick!
Terrific! I don’t think anyone has accomplished that before.
Congrats, and welcome!

Sandy

1 Like