Great Horned Owl Fledge

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

We intentionally left the light blue sky in the shot. Does it work for you?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon Z-7 Nikon 600mm 1/125 f4 ISO2000
Full frame Each of the last two years we have witnessed these Great Horned Owl fledges and the adults as they have gone from hatch to fledge.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

#patrickohealy

1 Like

Hey Patrick. Haven’t seen you post in Avian in eons. How have you been doing? This is just a gorgeous shot of the young owl. I love the pose and the techs are as good as you can get. The sky is sufficiently subdued that it works very well . An excellent image.

2 Likes

Whoa, gorgeous light. I think you have pretty much nailed it. I also like the blue in the sky although I might clean out the lower edge close to the LR corner. Gorgeous shot.

1 Like

I really like this image. The dynamic pose of the fledge is special as is the branch. As we talked about, I like the inclusion of the bits of blue sky peaking through to help with the environment and also for the overall composition. The triangle created by the LRC, owl and diagonal of the branch work very nicely together to hold the viewer in the frame. A very nice frame indeed.

1 Like

Thanks so much Dennis. We are sheltering in place and well, albeit ready to resume normal life.

This is pretty great. What a fantastic opportunity. Owlet looks great. Love the pose and the perch. I also like the BG, including the blue patches. If mine, I’d run a round of noise reduction on the BG.

1 Like

Great pose and detail. Looks as if you had some nice light. I like the color contrast between the bird and background. Nice perch as well.

1 Like

This is an excellent capture with great light and surprising sharpness considering the high ISO and low shutter speed! I love the pose and the face on that fledglng :slight_smile: Great job!

1 Like

The owl’s pose makes the image, they can draw such funny poses. The shot is great on the techs, and I would say ‘of course’ you left the blue sky in, why wouldn’t you? The vantage point is clear anyhow, so one would expect some hint of sky. Well done, nice to see you posting again ! Cheers, Hans

1 Like

Good to see you posting again Patrick, super pose on this youngster.

1 Like

Good to see you post one of these fledges Patrick. Beautiful shoulder lift and the light is killer. I love the inclusion of the blue sky. Well done.

1 Like