Great Potoo

This Great Potoo had to steal a look at me while doing its usual camouflage posture up in a tree in northeast Brazil. The midday lighting was especially harsh for photography. Sony a9, Sony 100-400mm at 400mm, f/7.1 at 1/2000th, ISO 500.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Very good, Charles. The slightly open eye really makes this image.

1 Like

A most unusually looking bird, Charles. So glad that you were able to capture him giving you the eye. As Dennis said, that makes the shot. I had never heard of this bird, but he sure is pretty camouflaged.

1 Like

Killer camouflage! Nice capture of the behavior and the slightly open eye is a nice bonus. Just a little hot on the exposure due to the harsh lighting but well worth the shot.

1 Like

Incredible camouflage. Sure this is a bird?? :grinning: Well seen and captured.

1 Like

Amazing what Nature comes up with every now and then. The slightly open eye makes the image for me; the light in harsh indeed, but this specialty bird makes up for that ! Love it ! Cheers, Hans

1 Like

Very interesting looking species, Charles. Your captured the camouflage. The partly open eye makes this look sleepy. The light is a bit harsh as you pointed out, but the image is nicely framed and presented.

Cool species, well captured. The open eye makes the image for me.