Grebe in autumn light

Sharpness and noise level

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Overall appeal

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Canon R6, Canon 100-500mm F-4.5/7.1 L IS USM
1/500 @ F-8 ISO 800

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

On my monitor both sharpness and noise level look good. I like the fall color and the position and pose of the grebe. Nice.

Thank you for your comments. I kept wanting the grebe to move just a bit until the fall colors were all around it, but didn’t happen. Thanks again.

The matching fall colors and grebe look very nice. The composition, focus and sharpness also look good. It would be nice to see a bird larger in the frame and then look at the larger file size to get a really good look at sharpness.

I like the water color and how it complements the grebe. I like the pose and the detail looks sharp to me. I’d be interested to know how you are liking the R6 and the RF lens. Did you use auto eye focus on this shot? What was your focal length on this shot?

Allen, I like the R6 very much, and plan on it being my main camera from now on unless I am doing something which would benefit from more mb and will use the R. I used the RF100-500mm lens, at 500mm, hand held. I did use the animal recognition mode. For me this was the one feature that prompted me to get this camera body even though I already had the R and the RP. I do plan on trading the RP in for something else. Also, I have the 800mm F-11 and find it a great combination with the R6 as long as there is decent light and do not have to go high with the ISO. I have found using auto ISO with the R6 and the 800mm to be a very productive combination.

Thanks for your comments.

1 Like

A very nice image,John. I really like the colors and the lighting on the grebe. As others have noted the sharpness and noise look fine. Nice work.

Thanks to all for your kind comments. About the first time I had used the combination of the Canon R6 and the 100-500mm lens.