Green Heron carrying stick + update

This spring a pair of Green Herons built a nest at my neighborhood lake near the boat dock. I can sit on the dock and sometimes catch them flying by. The chicks hatched in May but the nest was raided about a week ago by a predator. Only one chick survived and is able to walk along the downed tree and branches near the nest. I’ve seen the chick being fed by the parents outside the nest. Something interesting happened yesterday. One of the of adults started bringing in sticks back to the nest site as if they were going to try to have another brood. The chick was not happy about this and knocked the stick out of the adult’s mouth and tried to get a meal. The next two photos show that interaction.

Canon 90D, Sigma 150-600 C
ISO 640, f6.3, 1/2500s, hand held

Any comments appreciated.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@allensparks.wildlife

1 Like

The trials of parenting. Excellent behavior with superb light, color, and detail.

Gosh, that flight shot is gorgeous. Everything is pretty much perfect in that one. The images with the juvie is cool, too (I LOVE that last one).

You nailed it. Really nice wing position, detail, and BG. Good that your heron decided to move the stick out from in front of its eye for you! My only suggestion would to try a less boxy crop. I bet the parent would be happy for you to babysit!

Oh my gosh, what a wonderful, sad . . . but true story of nature Allen. Thank you for sharing the series and story with us. Very nicely captured.

Wow, Allen, these are really amazing behavior shots. How nice to have them so close by. Sorry to hear that one was taken from them. Nature is cruel at times. Just really great shots.

Superb first image, Allen, and the ones with the Juvie tell an interesting story. No nits from me.

Very good flight shot and a nice photo story to go with it. Perfect wing position and lighting on the first image. The interaction between the chick and parent in the other images is also great to see.

Great wing position, really good light, the branch doesn’t cross over the eye, and a really nice blurred background. Great interaction with the other two shots as well. Kids can be so thankless sometimes! :slight_smile:

Update: I must have been wrong about the nest being raided by a predator. I saw three green heron chicks today. They must have “branched” instead and just be walking around the thick foliage near the nest. Good news! Look forward to them learning to fly.

Hi Allen,

A wonderful capture and I have no nits for you. Well done and I like the image as presented…Jim

A lovely flight shot. Nice light and I really like the exposure of the full up wing position. Well done on the behavior shots as well. Interesting to see the chick fighting off the stick.

The flight shot is amazing, Allen ! And good news as well :slight_smile: … Well done, cheers, Hans