Greetings! My name is Josh Belanger Coash and I am excited to be joining this community of like-minded photographers!

I am a full-time History Teacher from Grand Rapids Michigan (I have been teaching for seven years). During the height of the pandemic I picked up a camera (that was purchased to document a 2020 Spring Break trip ironically) and began photographing what I would see on the many local hikes I would take. When not outside, like many others I found myself spending a lot of time indoors. During this time I found all the various Nature Photography channels on YouTube and fell down the rabbit hole in an extreme way. It wasn’t long after I was planning local photography outings close to home. I fell in love with Nature Photography.

Fast forward three years later and I’m still falling down the rabbit hole. I have since discovered new photographers that I admire, gained more knowledge about the philosophies and processes involved with Nature Photography, and have created a better understanding of the subjects that I love to shoot. My favorite subjects are Michigan’s woodland, waterfalls, rivers, and lakes. My favorite location to shoot is the Western Upper Peninsula (of Michigan).

Feel free to browse my images and read some of my blogs containing trip reports and essays about my favorite subjects to shoot at www.joshbelangerphotography.com

• Josh Belanger Coash

2 Likes

Hi and welcome near neighbor - I’m in northern Wisconsin so can totally relate to the photo you posted here.

So glad you found us and maybe have found the pot of gold at the bottom of the rabbit hole. :laughing: Seriously this is a tremendous place to improve technique and artistic vision for nature photography. We are all at different stages, but we all agree about that.

Please browse and ask questions, comment and share, and visit the Guidelines page if something isn’t clear. Looking forward to your continued participation and camaraderie.

1 Like

Hi Josh! Welcome to NPN! This is a great community for photographers at any skill level to learn and improve their art. Getting critiques of your work is a good way to improve, as are the many articles and webinars available here. Evaluating and critiquing other persons photographs is also a great way to learn and improve your own work.

I really like your introductory image. Perfect shutter speed for the water cascades, and good composition too.

1 Like

Josh, welcome to NPN. And what a killer image you posted! Excellent all the way around–shutter speed, composition, and processing. Awesome. I happen to be partial to B&W imagery when shooting snow/ice, so this would look excellent that way too.

Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions about the site, posting, or contributing. I look forward to seeing more of your work and having you contribute to other’s images as well. Welcome aboard.

2 Likes

Josh, welcome to this wonderful community of photographers here at NPN. I’m so glad you found us. As others have said, it is a great place to learn about photography as well as help others as we contribute to critiques. We do learn as we view and study other people’s photography and provide our incite. I am looking forward to seeing more of your work (what a shot you posted with your introduction) and reading your critiques. Again, welcome.

1 Like

Hi Josh, glad you’re part of this awesome community! I’m happy to see you mention creating a better understanding of the subjects you love to photograph. I think that is important and helps strengthen the connection and relationship to nature. NPN is about growing as a photographer so you’re definitely in the right place. I look forward to seeing more of your work. Please feel free to ask me any questions. The site can be a bit overwhelming at first glance. Feel free to share your impressions of other’s images too when you are comfortable to do so. Welcome aboard!

1 Like

Hi Josh. Greetings from UP north in Marquette. Looks like some of your wanderings have brought you up our way. That is a beautiful first shot you’ve posted. Exposure on the water is perfect.

1 Like

@JoshBelangerCoash, Welcome to NPN. There is a great community and a depth of knowledge and sharing that I find informative and helpful. It’s always great to checkout the latest post but don’t forget about other great parts of NPN such as past articles and recorded webinars. There are other things to participate including Ask me anything sessions and guest critiques by well established photographers. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

1 Like

Welcome to NPN, Josh. IMO, if being active this is a great community for learning and growth, I hope you will find out the same. Great first posting, I am looking forward to see more of your images and your comments on other members images.

1 Like

Welcome to NPN Josh! Love the steely-blue tones in your image.

Great to have you here and we look forward to your images and participation in the galleries!

Lon

1 Like

Welcome Josh! Glad you made it here!
I really like this image. I like the blue monotone which helps drive home the coldness of the snowy scene. Speaking of snow, for some reason I really love the blob of snow on the lower left, in contrast with the silky white running water. Maybe it’s a visual weight thing and balance I’m feeling, but whatever it is I like it! And, that’s an incredible set of little waterfalls. Wow!
Looking forward to seeing more!

1 Like